w203 dpf

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

porkawa1ker

Hi everyone,
This is my first post and I am looking for some advice please.
My W203 220cdi estate intermittently goes into limp home mode.
I have had the car diagnosed on Star by a respected garage on the forum and the advice was the exhaust needs to be removed to replace the DPF.

I have checked my Service book, and I have DPF fitted.:(

A few questions:
Should the DPF be replaced or cleaned?
If replacement is required, approximately how much would a new MB DPF cost?
Also one of the symptoms aswell as the loss of power is a wooshing noise under acceleration - is this typical for this type of fault?

Your advice is appreciated, TIA

I had a power loss issue but mine appeared to be down to the air mass sensor - try unluging your air mass sensor and take for a short drive and see if makes any diference - however doing this could possibly cuas eteh engine manangement light on the MFD to come on and may need resetting.

After unpluging the air mass sensor make sure you connect it back up again after the short test drive.

Thanks for the reply and advice.
The fault has now changed in that power has been restored, but I still get a wooshing sound under acceleration. Is this the DPF trying to regenerate?

I dont want to try the air mas sensor until I am sure what fault I have, then I can try and eliminate it without introducing more error codes.

Any tips or advice are much appreciated

I have done a bit more research on the forum and owners of the same car have reported problems with either a split pipe to or from the intercooler.

I am confused as where to start as the pipes are difficult to inspect, but sound plausible and is a cheap fix. However, there is no smoke under acceleration and I do not have any warnings or malfunctions in the dash.

The other scenario is that it is a DPF fault as has been diagnosed by STAR, and what is the best way to resolve, ie remove DPF and remap, regen under STAR but no guarantee it will fix the problem or DPF replacement which sounds really expensive

The fault has now changed in that power has been restored, but I still get a wooshing sound under acceleration. Is this the DPF trying to regenerate?

Its normal for the turbo to make a "whooshing" noise on the CDIs upon acceleration.

Resolved

The following post is for 2004 w203 c class c220 cdi owners who's cars have loss of power and go into limp home mode.

Following my earlier posts of a suspected DPF fault, the cars engine light came on whilst I was driving up the motorway in limphome mode.

I called out the RAC who diagnosed a "Turbo overboost" and suspected a split or crushed pipe.

I could not find it but returned the car to 124 Works. Ian at 124w was able to find the split pipe, saving me £££s.

Total cost for the pipe was £110

Ian was a gent, rushing through the job for me and providing lifts.

I can't praise 124works enough. Star diagnostics could not diagnose the fault consistently, giving many erroneous readouts, but a pair of Mk1 eyeballs did :thumb:

The car now runs like a dream and no whooshing noise under acceleration from the front of the car and full power.

I have posted three pics. Two of the old pipe with the split and the new pipe fitted exiting the engine cover and near the slam panel.

pics

Sorry about the pics. I have uploaded them but can'y get them into the post. :wallbash:

Diagnostics are only part of the answer and they will never tell you what is wrong with the car, the information obtained by any diagnostic machine star or others will only tell you that the fault is in that direction. So to sum up you had a split pipe but the diagnosis was DPF and the RAC guy said overboost so the fault lay in the turbo/exhaust system. Sometimes its something little that causes us the biggest headache like toothache!

My car has the same fault reading DPF and O2 sensor and EGR sensor, But it may be a split pipe like yours...... you never know as these faults are intermittent.

Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom