w203 electric seats failure

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

hairless wonder

Car
w203 320
Hi all, as per the title both my front seats have stopped working, dont have a clue where to look to check fuses...except main board under the bonnet. Is there anything obvious that I am missing? They aren`t fully electric, use lever underneath to move base back and forth, switches on side to recline and move base up and down. I`ve read on here somewhere about a reset procedure, can anyone explain?

Thanks

Have you identified which fuses is for the seats yet? Usually there's a list on the fuse box lid. I seem to remember that there's a fuse box in the end panel of the dashboard on the W203, it should be mentioned in your manual.

I think the reset procedure is simply using the switch to move the seat all the way to it's "shortest" position and holding for 3 seconds, then all the way to the "longest" position and holding again. Then repeating a couple more times. I don't think that's going to help you if the seats aren't moving at all though.

The same principle applies to resetting the windows and sunroof too.

I havent yet , no. Been busy at work, but got a few days off to play now. it seems odd that its both seats though

Not odd if they are controlled by one fuse or the problem lies in the front SAM.

The fuse chart is usually stored in the end of dashboard cavity where there is also a fusebox, but the charts very often go missing as owners fail to put them back after referring to them.

Here are copies of the chart, showing the locations of all three fuseboxes, under bonnet, end of dashboard (drivers side, the small end panel pries off with leverage from a screwdriver) and boot.

If you have trouble reading them, try clicking on the images instead of the headers, and they will hopefully open in Photobucket. Click on the magnifying glass with the '+' sign to enlarge them.
There are separate fuses for left and right seats according to the list.

Last edited:
Take off the rear seat backing covers - and you will see the power cable that is for the tilt motor , trace it back where it goes under the swivel hinge and you will see it torn and shorting which has caused the fuse to pop.
:thumb:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom