W203 engine temperature

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

hairboy

Car
2006 C220 CDI SPORT ESTATE
I noticed today that my engine temp gauge didn't rise above 80 degrees C during my 300 mile journey. I was doing around 60-70mph along the motorway, with a small amount of A road and town driving, but at it was mostly around 70-80 degrees.

I've read on some threads that optimum temp is around 90, and if constantly below that, thermostat may be faulty. Does that sound to be the case, or is my temp range normal at this time of year when engine isn't pushed?

A failed thermostat is very common on these engines, and is an easy DIY job. Your symptoms sound spot on for it.

Thanks. I may have a go before it goes too cold. time for some research

I had a good look under the bonnet with the cover off, but can't determine where it is.
On my research, I came across this link and tried to make sense, but considering how many say it's an easy DIY, that guide says otherwise.

Can anyone who has actually carried out this job on W203 C220 CDi give me any pointers towards the location of the thermostat on this model, and if any "how to" guide exists, a link?

Many thanks.

Just had a new thermostat fitted on my w203 c220 it's awkward and for reasonable access remove oil filter, it is in the way of the lower bolt.
Don't forget a new gasket.
M.

Last edited:
Just had a new thermostat fitted (Wright-Tech Sidcup.Thank you Andy) on my W203 C220. Remove oil filter housing to allow more access to bolts, don't forget new gasket.
Malc

I replaced mine about 12 months ago and my temperature gauge sits a little above the 80º mark. Does yours take a long time to reach 80º as that's a good indicator of the condition and possible failure of the stat.

That guide you've linked to is a good write up on what's involved.

If the C220 is the same as the C270, the stat is located just left of the oil filter at the front right hand side of the engine. They come complete with the housing and a new rubber seal is included. As said, much easier job with the oil filter removed, but be careful with the plastic fuel pipes which run over and around as they become brittle over time.

New stats are circa £40.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom