W203 Estate. Self leveling Question

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

brucemillar

MB Enthusiast
Car
C55 AMG Wagon - W124 300te 4matic Wagon - BMW 4.8is X5 E53 - SWB Pajero 3.5 V6 24v
Help

Does anybody know if the w203 C-Class has a rear xenon self leveling switch/potentiometer. I have found the front but can find nothing on the rear?

I have only the N/S light self leveling. Any clues?

Hmm

I completely disconnected the link arm on the front and gave the switch a good clean out. Now both lights are working again. So no rear leveling.

Olly

Where would I find it? I have looked all along the rear anti roll bar. The front one was easy to find. Drivers side linked to the anti roll bar. If somebody has removed it. I am assuming I would find the end of the wiring loom hanging somewhere.

This is on my C55 Estate. 2004 model.

Many Thanks

Bruce

There are on two possible places. Only on the right side either attached to the lower arm or just in front of the lower arm.

No need to take the wheel off, just jack it up and use an axel stand and crawl underneath with a torch.

Olly

Many Thanks. I will have a look in the morning. Great response.

If both my lights are now dancing at ignition on (and they are). Does it need the rear one? What is controlling what. If it is not there and I need to replace it. I like to know what it does. MOT due imminently....

As you fill the boot up the lights go upwards so the level sensor at the rear moves with the loading and sends the signal to the front SAM then the SAM talks to the headlamp control units which in turn moves the lamp unit down.

They ALL have rear level sensors if xenon headlamps are factory fitted and retro fitted properly.

Olly

Data Card shows the car as - 618 Bi-Xenon Headlamps for left hand traffic.

So the rear level switch should be there (I hope)

Olly

NO rear sensor. I have checked both sides and cannot find any trace of a sensor or even any marks to suggest that there may have been one that has been removed. I also cannot find any wiring that would connect to a sensor.

I did get a a mate to sit in the boot while I watched the headlights and they did dip as the front of the car lifted. They then re-adjusted as he climbed out.

When I switch on the ignition (not the engine) both lights dance as they find their level. The car shows no errors on STAR regarding the lights. So I m thinking that there may never have been a rear sensor?

I only got concerned when the drivers side light stopped leveling. This was fixed by cleaning the front sensor. But having an MOT due shortly I thought I should check.

This is a 2004 C55 Estate that had factory fitted Bi-Xenons as shown on the data card.

Should I just forget this?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom