W203 estate > tracking down a rear 'clonk'

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

cws196

Car
S205 C250d AMG Premium+
Noticed on my W203 estate that there's a clonk coming from the rear of the car when you going over a speed bump etc - almost sounds like something loose in the boot.

Going to start by replacing he rear ARB's, seeing as they're easy to do and only £13 for the pair/genuine MB.

Any tips on searching for the source of the noise?

hopefully a stone stuck in the shock springs, as i experienced once.

Exhaust / Tyre place removed for free :D

I think your on the right track with the arb bushes,had the same on mine,convinced a tool or something was rattling around the spare tyre well,but on inspection underneath the arb bush retaining bracket had snapped.

Got the same problem with my C280 estate and I thought it was an exhaust hanger but it turns out to be a broken spring!

I have been chasing this problem for 3 years now. I have checked the rear springs, changed the ARB bushes and drop links, changed a wishbone bush, changed a rear suspension sphere (I have the optional self levelling rear suspension on mine). Still can't find it. Nothing gets picked up at MOT time. Current thinking is the rear hydraulic strut. The strut is serious money, so I will not be changing it unless I am 100% sure.

I hope you have better luck finding the problem than I have!

I expect yours will be a shock absorber the same as the OP

I expect yours will be a shock absorber the same as the OP

Olly, I will start a new thread to prevent me hi-jacking this one. I would like to explore your comment above.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom