W203 Estate Washer Jet Operation

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ngbenz

Car
Mercedes W203 C200 Estate
Hi All

A quick question about the rear washer jet on my W203 estate. For the last year since I got the car the jet stays in the vertical position as the wiper sweeps across the screen. However, in the last couple of days the jet of water now moves with the wiper. Does anyone know what it's supposed to do?

While the sweeping jet is far better at washing the screen I'm wondering if it is supposed to stay still it might damage the pipework etc.

Thanks.

Ngbenz

Hi Bruce

Thanks for the info. The spindle cover it does have a 180 degree slot in it for the washer jet, it looks like the jet housing has stuck where it goes through the spindle - in this weather - great! It's a pity because the sweeping jet is brilliant.

Hi Bruce

Thanks for the info. The spindle cover it does have a 180 degree slot in it for the washer jet, it looks like the jet housing has stuck where it goes through the spindle - in this weather - great! It's a pity because the sweeping jet is brilliant.

I could be wrong. But I believe that the 180 hole is to allow you to position the jet as you prefer. On my two W203's it is vertical. It is just a push fit brass nozzle. Usually the pipes freeze this time of year and then burst or burn out the motor ;^)

I could be wrong. But I believe that the 180 hole is to allow you to position the jet as you prefer. On my two W203's it is vertical. It is just a push fit brass nozzle. Usually the pipes freeze this time of year and then burst or burn out the motor ;^)
I'm guessing that the 180 degree slot also ensures that the washer jet is always exposed as the wiper sweeps.

If it warms up this weekend I'll take the motor out and check it all, at least it's easy to get at.

I'm guessing that the 180 degree slot also ensures that the washer jet is always exposed as the wiper sweeps.

If it warms up this weekend I'll take the motor out and check it all, at least it's easy to get at.

I’ve had a look now and the metal pipe that runs through the spindle to the washer jet has jammed at the top and sheared off.

It looks like the pipe is part of the motor assembly and doesn’t seem to be available separately so it looked likes it a replacement assembly.

I’ve had a look now and the metal pipe that runs through the spindle to the washer jet has jammed at the top and sheared off.

It looks like the pipe is part of the motor assembly and doesn’t seem to be available separately so it looked likes it a replacement assembly.

It very probably is a whole new motor or, give Dronsfield’s a call. They may have one for less than the main dealer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks Bruce

Car Parts 4 Less have got the Valeo part (the OEM on my car) for £95. I’ll make a note of Dronsfields for the future.

It is annoying that a small metal tube renders what is otherwise a perfectly working wiper motor useless. Even though I’ve ordered the new part I might see if I can get hold of some suitable tubing and repair the old one!

This is rather well known issue with these cars. The rear motor is a weak point and normally floods the tailgate to signal that it has failed. You find this out, when it empties several liters of screen wash down the back of your neck, dying your favourite business shirt blue.

I have (had) two W203 estates and both have failed with leaking at the motor where the tube goes through it. I have tried various bodges including plumbers resins, two part glues etc. None worked. Dronsfields are very good with parts like this and will usually give a decent warranty (vital) as it may be as bad as you started with. It is said that using a good quality screenwash improves the life of this? I suspect that avoiding washing up liquid or anything that will freeze/clog is acceptable.

Good luck. Let us know how you get on.

It seems to be a common fault with MB rear wiper motors. They leak into the motor interior causing erratic operation. MB dealer wanted £350 to replace mine but got a generic one on ebay for a fraction which works fine. Trouble now is that the hose is blocked. Tried blowing it through but not successful and working up to replacing it. Told if left unused for some time the screen wash can solidify in the hose. Don't know if this is true but mine does not work.

I had the same fault on mine a few years ago and posted a "how-to" on here, but as the forum search function is still broken, I can't find it. What I do know is the jet pipe was available as a separate item from MB.

What happens is the central jet pipe is not meant to rotate with the wiper. It's fixed in its orientation by plastic lugs on the motor housing, but time, dirt and washer fluid conspire to cause the pipe to stick to the central bore of the wiper shaft. The rotation then snaps off the lugs so the jet follows the wiper across the screen which is neat for a while, but eventually the constant flexing causes the union to snap, filling the tailgate with washer fluid.

If the search function ever works again I'll have a look for it and repost.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom