W203 facelift auto problem

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ivandraganov

Hi everyone,Test drove 220 CDi auto and the car had available only 4 gears,whats seems to be the problem?is there Settings preventing use of the 5-th or some problem with electronics or gearbox itself?

Does anyone know If reseting the gearbox will fix the problem,and how to perform the reset..,

It's not in Comfort mode, is it? C/S switch next to the gear selector, and it'll say C (or S) in the cluster display.

Ha Ha Rory beat me to it

If the box is in C mode it drops 1st gear and starts in 2nd giving the impression that the box has only four gears.

1234D the dash was showing Never seen numer5.is that right?

It's normal.

You can only select up to 6th in the 7g.

Manual shifting is designed for downshifting, if you want your top gear, knock it back into auto and it'll do that for you, if appropriate for the speed.

You can verify this by selecting the highest gear you can, 4th in your case, and cruising up to a speed that gets the engine above 2-2.5k, then knock it back into auto, you should see it drop the revs as it then chooses the top gear.

Yes, if you knock the stick to the left at 60, it should show 4 on the dash, and lift another 5/600rpm.

1234D the dash was showing Never seen numer5.is that right?

The first 4 numbers are showin what gear you can limit the auto transmission to.

I.e. when you select '4' , it won't go beyond 4th gear.

So no point in having a '5' showing.... because in D it will use all 5 gears anyway, including the 5th gear if need be.

So 1,2,3,4 are only relevant if you DON'T want it going up to 5th gear... otherwise put it in D and it will use all gears, including the 5th.

It looks like all ok,it's me that didnt have experiance driving and panicin for nothing.Thanks everyone for the help...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom