W203 flywheel info

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

city lights

Is there a dual-mass flywheel in C 200 CDI? In which aspects is dual-mass better than the ordinary flywheel and what's the price of each?

Thanks.

Your car does have a dual mass flywheel, though I wouldn't say it's better than a normal flywheel.

A dual mass flywheel makes things smoother but they can be a pain in the ass at the same time. They are a known weak spot in certain cars and when it comes to replacing a clutch makes it a more expensive job as inherently the flywheel wears with the clutch and needs replacing also. Most manufacturers now use dual mass flywheels....

Most cars can be converted back to a single mass flywheel but this creates vibration/noise but don't tend to wear out unlike DMF. If you Google it you will see plenty of issues with them.

A friend of mine just had to pay £800 to have his clutch/Dmf replaced on his Ford mondeo tdci he was advised to replace it with the single mass flywheel to stop the DMF causing issues in the future as he does 30k a year in it. It has made the car a little noisier and less smooth but nothing that's too intrusive.

Having converted a Ford Galaxy from a dual mass flywheel to a solid flywheel when the clutch went, I can strongly recommend that you stick with the dual mass flywheel...the solid flywheel was very unrefined when using 1st and 2nd gear...vibration and noise.

Am I correct in thinking that if the OP's car is an automatic then it won't have a dual mass flywheel ?

I got one more question regarding different issue.

The problem is that I can't switch off the ventilation directed to legs when the fan/AC is on. Turn the button towards any position possible it will still blow towards the legs.
The local service's (not the official one) repairer told me it was very difficult to reach the mechanism and that it would take at least 2 hours to solve the problem. He also said that either it was spoiled mechanism/engine for flaps moving or the flap for directing the air was broken.

Is all the work worth doing that?

May he damage anything else (airbag connection or any other electronics) while reaching the ventilation's engine/flaps?

I got one more question regarding different issue.

The problem is that I can't switch off the ventilation directed to legs when the fan/AC is on. Turn the button towards any position possible it will still blow towards the legs.
The local service's (not the official one) repairer told me it was very difficult to reach the mechanism and that it would take at least 2 hours to solve the problem. He also said that either it was spoiled mechanism/engine for flaps moving or the flap for directing the air was broken.

Is all the work worth doing that?

May he damage anything else (airbag connection or any other electronics) while reaching the ventilation's engine/flap
Not at all. It´s about one hour job. Release the glove box or console first.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom