W203 - Folding Mirror Disaster

Discussion in 'Electronics' started by Wully, Oct 13, 2008.

1. Wully

Wully Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    2002 W203 C220 CDI Avantgarde SE Auto
    Over the last two days I'd been getting intermittent warning in the display that i had a problem with the nearside indicator.

As for the last month or two my auto dip mirror had not been working i was beginning to suspect the door module however after a poke about yesterday i discovered that i had a few cut cables inside the mirror housing.

So to try and beat the darkness tonight i came home from work and dismantled the door card and to revel the wiring harness and then set about dismantling the mirror assembly.

Mistake! No need to remove the door card, there is a connector inside the mirror fixing bracket. :eek:

Anyway into the house i go and strip the mirror down and low and behold there were four cables in total cut cleanly. See below:
    [​IMG]

The cause of said cut, the scissor mechanism. The cable clip on the left hand side had somehow came loose:-
    [​IMG]

So what do i do, get a replacement harness if one is even available or dig out the soldering iron. So out came the soldering iron and some insulation tape :bannana:

Put it all back together by torchlight and everything works as it should even the auto dip.

Therefore guys if you have folding mirrors check the cable harness, it's an easy check slip off the mirror housing and have a peek.

2. JonnyCJ

JonnyCJ Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    C32 AMG
    Aha !

Had the same issue, but got hit by a white van who destroyed the wing mirror. My car has 7 black, un-numbered wires, so finding out what does what is a nightmare.

New wing mirror internals is the only solution as looms are not available :-(

Cheers

CJ

3. Smatt

Smatt Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    2011 E350Cdi Cab Auto, 2011 E350Cdi Estate Auto
    Someone on here should be able to tell you the pin numbering order so that you can re-wire yours.
    If not see if someone with same car is willing to take cover off their mirror so that you can work out wiring order.

If Wully has the same car, he may even be able to tell you the wiring order which will be a lot easier with his coloured wires
    New looms may not be available, but plugs are from MB, or you could reuse the ones you have & just fit new pins(available from MB) into them if you use new wires.

4. Smatt

Smatt Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    2011 E350Cdi Cab Auto, 2011 E350Cdi Estate Auto
    Can't you look at the loom on the other door & duplicate the wiring order?

5. BlackC55

BlackC55 Authorised Forum Sponsor Authorised Forum Sponsor

Horndean, Portsmouth, Hampshire, Southsea
    Car:
    C43 AMG with a 55 engine and supercharger, E55 AMG, S500, etc
    Common problem this one. Seeing loads recently