W203 Front Indicator Bulb Holder Mod - Tech Help Needed Please!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

6CylinderMerc

Car
W203 C240 Elegance
I have had an ongoing problem with the car thinking that the O/S front indicator bulb has blown and the foglamp acting as a substitute. The problem doesn't happen all the time but MOT time is drawing near and the problem is becoming more frequent. It sometimes clears after turning ignition off but sometimes not. The car has the original multi-plug going straight to the headlamp unit serving all bulbs. I have checked the bulb holder and sure enough, it is arcing out on the side contact.

I spoke with my local MB dealer and this is apparantly a well known problem on early W203's, to the extent that MB offer a wiring mod for the indicator which basically means removing the indicator cable from the multi-plug, re-routing it to the modified bulb holder and earthing it. What this means is that you no longer have to rely on the dodgy contact in the original holder as the wiring goes stright to the new bulb holder. So, I have bought said modified holder (only £20 - a pleasant surprise from an MB dealer) and now need technical help to fit it.

I should add that I have googled and searched the forum but can't find anything.

Any advice from somebody who has done this before or auto electricians welcome!

not sure what you need to know? the earth loop (brown wire) goes onto a terminal behind the cluster with a 10mm headed stud, easy to find. the plug for the live must have one of the terminals from the multiplug fitted into it. it will be a black wire with a coloured trace - possibly yellow or green, can't remember, either way it is the wire at one side of the plug. it will need to be released with a terminal tool and pushed into the new connector, the empty socket is plugged with the grommet supplied. hth.

I have this problem on my car.

Please could you let me know the bulb holder part number?

Thanks
Paul

ring any dealers parts dept and they will know

I'll try a different one, my one just sold me new bulb holders of the same type. It fixed the problem though

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom