W203 - Frustrating whistle (Heating)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Paul_UK

Car
W203 C220 CDI, ML 270, W203 180k, W202 180, A 190
I have tried everything I can think of – but I still get an annoying whistling noise from what seems to be the central vents.
I have had the air con check and re-gassed (no leaks)
I have replaced the blower motor (old one was working but think brushes had gone)
Reset the vents – using the screen clear + circulation buttons
None of my efforts have made a difference to the whistling (kettle boiling sound)... It is really getting on my nervous
There is no clicking sound behind the dash – which is the only good news.
Any one get any other ideas as to what I can do – or what might be causing this? :wallbash:
Many thanks
Paul
P.s if anyone is looking for a replacement blower motor unit for a W203 I can recommend the below
MERCEDES-BENZ<br>MERCE C-CLASS (W203) C 180 (203.035)<br><BR>Interior Blower<BR>

Have a look under the bonnet at the air entry ducts as sometimes leaves or rubbish get stuck and can causes noises...

Thanks R2D2 - sorry where am I look to find these vents?

under the grill on the bonnet and sort infront of the windscreen.

Thanks - I will go check - fingers crossed

Just had a look under the bonnet - can see any sign of leaves etc. Took the battery cover off and check that area as well. Cant hear the whistle from outside the car - but can from within... any other suggetions?
Thanks

Have you stolen my car?

That is the exact symptoms my C55 has. I have also done all the things you have.

Re-gas, vents, pressure tests prior to re-gas, re-set vents. Checked all vents are open full or closed fully. Drives you potty. I can drown it out with the radio.

Any help ??

Hi I have a w203 220cdi and i can hear a slight whistle when i first start up in the morning, i originally thought the sound was coming from the centre vent area but i have pinned it down to the vent on the drivers side. My old 123 used to have a vacuum adjuster switch for the headlights. Does anyone know if the 203 headlight adjuster is vacuum operated? because if it is i suspect that is where my whistle and where Paul_UKhttp://www.mbclub.co.uk/forums/members/paul_uk.htmls noise might be coming from.

Intresting point Mrsdoyle - any one know the answer? I would really really really like to fix the issue :)

Have you stolen my car?

That is the exact symptoms my C55 has. I have also done all the things you have.

Re-gas, vents, pressure tests prior to re-gas, re-set vents. Checked all vents are open full or closed fully. Drives you potty. I can drown it out with the radio.

Any help ??

Ha - not stolen, but could do a swap if you like :)

Fingers crossed we can find a solution to this issue as it driving me mad...

Did you remove the pollen filter and look down the vents? I had a dried leaf stuck in a vent tube that whistled until I found it.

Did you remove the pollen filter and look down the vents? I had a dried leaf stuck in a vent tube that whistled until I found it.

Is the the filter above the battery?

Yes.

Is it a high pitched whistle? Does it stop when the AC is switched off?

Old fashion kettle used to make (whistling) – like air is escaping somewhere for getting though a small gap...
I think it does it when the air con is on as well.. but need to check this in the morning...
What are your thought olly

Olly

I also had a new compressor fitted but that was for a much bigger whine. You will remember my elusive PS noise. Whistle there before and after compressor change.

I messed about with my air flow / direction dial this morning and noticed that the noise goes away when you set the vent direction to the set of middle vents.
Any ideas what is going wrong?

Attachments

• control unit.jpg
    control unit.jpg
    21.6 KB · Views: 58
a leak or a leaf/debris in the top centre vent pipe?

Paul

So with the A/C set to Auto (red light on) I get the whistle. Red light off..The whistle stops. Is this what you get?

It does not seem to make any difference if the auto is on or off.. if anything with auto on it is worse as the fan spins faster... L

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom