W203 Fuel tank

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

exupmonkey

Hi to all. First post (although I have been 'lurking' for a couple of months now since I got my 03 C220 CDI....) so be gentle:D .

First impression of the car are all positive with just a few minor niggles to sort, foot brake seems to have lost its ratchet, alloys a bit rough etc, but the most niggly is the fact that after the fuel warning light comes on I can only manage to 'fill' the tank with around 32 litres, wich brings the fuel guage up to just above 3/4 full, fuel consumption appears good with an average of 300 being returned on a £30ish spend. I have done some searching one the forum and I now know that the tank is saddle shaped so I am hoping that there is some sort of link pipe which may be blocked effectively leaving me with the use of only half a tank, which might be resolved with minimum fuss or expense. Any thoughts out there ... can a DIYer tackle this or should I expect a hefty one from a mechanic.

Thanks in advance.

Andy

Expect it to need a new fuel sender unit as that is the part that scavenges the other side of the tank.
For the parking brake check the spring hasn't come off the pedal ratchet. If it's not the spring off either it or the ratchet will be broken.

Welcome to the forum.

Cheers mate...sounds expensive!:(

This is the saddle tank from an earlier W202 which maybe similar.

The tanks are balanced using a tube running across the bridge and into the well of each side, the fuel is also returned and drawn from different sides.

It sounds as though the tank breather maybe blocked on the near side tank which isnt allowing the fuel to pass across when filling, chances are the breather will run up the inside of the wing to expel fumes.

fueltank.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom