W203 Gear knob / lever / gaitor

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

abz2002

Hello all

Newbie here, pleased to have found this place and look forward to posts a many!

Following a nightmare experience with a BMW 320d bought from a one man band dealer, just bought my first C180 auto with sports pack from Car Giant, well chuffed, crap economy but beautiful drive makes up for that!

Need to sort a couple of things out to make it perfect.

Firstly, the gear knob has some flaking on the top bit which is unusual.

Had a quote from MB £220 all in. Not end of the world but looking at cheaper options first.

Apparently you have to replace the whole lot i.e. knob, gaitor and base which bolts to actual gearbox?! Seems extreme for a bit of flaking paint!!!

Can anyone confirm/deny this?

My lever (ooh madam!) looks this this:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=290376290609&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IThttp://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?VISuperSize&item=290376290609

Second, have a small tear on black leather passenger seat. Looked at Surrey Trimmings who can replace whole piece for £160+VAT. COsmetic option from others is around £60+VAT. Anyone have any experience of cosmetic repairs to leather? I'm a bit sceptical of this?!

Lastly, minor indentation in rear bumper, hairdryer out? or get dent busters in?

There are aftermarket kits that replace just the knob leaving the gaitor, however if you want to keep it OEM then you do indeed replaced the gaitor and knob as a single unit.

Keep an eye on ebay for a good condition unit from another car. They do come up from time to time, and will save you a chunk on a new one.

One final thought, phone around a few dealers - ideally from different dealer groups - far and wide and ask if they have a W203 shift on the shelf. It's the sort of part that is ordered by mistake and the parts department are then stuck with.

If you're not fussy on the design (there are a few) then you may get a bargain. You'd be surprised how much of a discount you can get this way. Aim for 75% discount but 50% would be a good result. ;)

If you find one sat on a shelf but they won't do a deal, then how long it's been there. Say you'll call back when it's been there 12 months, but leave your number in case they change their mind.

Hello all

Newbie here, pleased to have found this place and look forward to posts a many!

Following a nightmare experience with a BMW 320d bought from a one man band dealer, just bought my first C180 auto with sports pack from Car Giant, well chuffed, crap economy but beautiful drive makes up for that!

Need to sort a couple of things out to make it perfect.

Firstly, the gear knob has some flaking on the top bit which is unusual.

Had a quote from MB £220 all in. Not end of the world but looking at cheaper options first.

Apparently you have to replace the whole lot i.e. knob, gaitor and base which bolts to actual gearbox?! Seems extreme for a bit of flaking paint!!!

Can anyone confirm/deny this?

My lever (ooh madam!) looks this this:

2005 MERCEDES C CLASS C180 AUTOMATIC GEAR SHIFT LEVER on eBay (end time 31-Dec-09 09:16:14 GMT)

Second, have a small tear on black leather passenger seat. Looked at Surrey Trimmings who can replace whole piece for £160+VAT. COsmetic option from others is around £60+VAT. Anyone have any experience of cosmetic repairs to leather? I'm a bit sceptical of this?!

Lastly, minor indentation in rear bumper, hairdryer out? or get dent busters in?

Here is the best advice i can give on the shifter, call local MB dealer and get a quote and also ask what the exact part number is that you require (or remove yours and write it down from there). Go onto partsreunited.co.uk and put in the search box the part number you require, then select mercedes benz. The website then sends your request to all MB main dealers and i gurantee one will come back with a cheap quote......I did this for a full set of pads front and rear, most dealers quoted £125 all in and i got them from a MB dealer with big discount for £70 incl vat and delivery!!

Here is the best advice i can give on the shifter, call local MB dealer and get a quote and also ask what the exact part number is that you require (or remove yours and write it down from there). Go onto partsreunited.co.uk and put in the search box the part number you require, then select mercedes benz. The website then sends your request to all MB main dealers and i gurantee one will come back with a cheap quote......I did this for a full set of pads front and rear, most dealers quoted £125 all in and i got them from a MB dealer with big discount for £70 incl vat and delivery!!

Amazing, what a site. Had the part at a main dealer, usual price £156, selling for £130, but I offered him a bit less, see how it goes.

Haven't had replies from others as yet.

Thanks for the top tip! Forums, you can't beat 'em!

There are aftermarket kits that replace just the knob leaving the gaitor, however if you want to keep it OEM then you do indeed replaced the gaitor and knob as a single unit.

Keep an eye on ebay for a good condition unit from another car. They do come up from time to time, and will save you a chunk on a new one.

One final thought, phone around a few dealers - ideally from different dealer groups - far and wide and ask if they have a W203 shift on the shelf. It's the sort of part that is ordered by mistake and the parts department are then stuck with.

If you're not fussy on the design (there are a few) then you may get a bargain. You'd be surprised how much of a discount you can get this way. Aim for 75% discount but 50% would be a good result. ;)

If you find one sat on a shelf but they won't do a deal, then how long it's been there. Say you'll call back when it's been there 12 months, but leave your number in case they change their mind.

sh1t u are a hard core enthusiast as your avatar suggests :thumb::thumb:

A little confused on how you can just replace the top bit though as far as I can see, it won't unscrew or am I just feeble?!

There is one on fleabay as per my link above but the model numbers don't tie up (probably cos it's from a compact) and the guy scared me off when he said your gears may not change if use wrong part as it's an electrical part (also no refund)?!, thought it was just a mechanical part but hey ho!

Last edited:
I think the ebay top-bit only parts require hacksaws and stuff - that would put me off.

With the OEM ones you just unclip the bottom of the gaitor from the trim covering the transmission tunnel and then twist 'n pull IIRC.

If buying from ebay make sure you don't make the same school boy error as I did - I bought a manual one, for my automatic car - so it went back on ebay!!

At this point I am hoping your error was down to the markings on the top of the shift...

Else I shall be moving on a Brabus gear shift :eek:

Horsesuitedfool,

Mine is coming... alledgedly from MB Milton Keynes along with a few other treats for my baby.

I believe... the item comes with both manual and auto legends :)

But... if it doesn't and Bobby's problem was more err troublesome, we will talk :D

Horsesuitedfool,

Mine is coming... alledgedly from MB Milton Keynes along with a few other treats for my baby.

I believe... the item comes with both manual and auto legends :)

But... if it doesn't and Bobby's problem was more err troublesome, we will talk :D

Yes indeed, i need Brabus mats and gear shifter as i slowly create a diesel Brabus!! Next is the engine rework!!

Nice one!

I already have Brabus suspension parts and fancy an SC upgrade :D

Hmmm, Brabus mats you say.... another project!!!

Hello

I had this made from a chap in the USA, he matched my wood also and you can choose the top, AMG, V6, Mercedes etc. Looks great I think... Cost around £65 a year ago.

DSCF0616.jpg

DSCF0608.jpg

Nice one!

I already have Brabus suspension parts and fancy an SC upgrade :D

Hmmm, Brabus mats you say.... another project!!!

Yes i have the flat badge grill on its way with the B bonnet badge delete, brabus mats, gear shift, exhaust and 19 inch brabus wheels on the way....!! Then a full remap and i will be flying.....haha:rock:

Sweet Jebus!

Badges :doh:

I had overlooked them... maybe I will do that if I get Brabus wheels or their pulley upgrade :)

Sweet Jebus!

Badges :doh:

I had overlooked them... maybe I will do that if I get Brabus wheels or their pulley upgrade :)

I wont put the badge on the bonnet until it has everything else done first!! Including the remap.....!! I asked Brabus about the wheels and various other bits i want and they said they remove the rear badges and replace with Brabus ones if you have it done there, such as fitting of the wheels etc......

I appreciate you aren't a badge monster :thumb:

Thus far, I had been considering AMG wheels and the Kleemann pulley upgrade but I am warming to the idea of going Brabus.

I appreciate you aren't a badge monster :thumb:

Thus far, I had been considering AMG wheels and the Kleemann pulley upgrade but I am warming to the idea of going Brabus.

Mine has all the AMG bits already and i like them but i think the wheels are too small so thought would be a bit different and go for Brabus ones, then i got the grill with the Brabus badge delete and now i cant stop with Brabus bits!! Door pins i forgot about too!! haha

A man after my own heart :D

A guy needs a project and you surely have one!

All I need to find are some staggered Monoblocks and I'll be really out of the traps :rock:

A man after my own heart :D

A guy needs a project and you surely have one!

All I need to find are some staggered Monoblocks and I'll be really out of the traps :rock:

Indeed!! I am going to get the Monoblock 6 i think they are called, they are the original star design, like the Brabus Smart wheels but with more than 3 bolts to hold them on!! They are staggered, 9.5 x 19 rear and 8.5 x 19 front....:D

Shame you are over in Surrey :)

I'd like to look over your car! I like inspiration and your plans for TV and so on are mighty appealling.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom