W203 'groaning' steering..????

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ddentrec

Car
W123 280TE, W123 200T, W203 C180K
Hello,

W203 C180K 2003, 34,000 miles. All tyres have good tread and are balanced and even wear.

Have noticed that the steering makes a grinding/groaning noise when turning steering even a little+very slight vibration through wheel when this happens. Noise seems to come from area of the dashboard..?? Cannot hear any steering noise with bonnet open...but then engine noise drowns it out anyway...

Most noticeable when car driven slowly, but then as speed increases it drowns out the noise...so I think it is there all the time.

Now, I thought perhaps it was something as silly as the steering wheel rubbing on the steering column shroud...but I think not.

Car has Service Plus cover...but I dread going to the stealers...takes them at least 3 visits to fix things in my experience.

Any ideas???

Have you checked you power steering fluid level (with steering straight)?

Hello,

W203 C180K 2003, 34,000 miles. All tyres have good tread and are balanced and even wear.

Have noticed that the steering makes a grinding/groaning noise when turning steering even a little+very slight vibration through wheel when this happens. Noise seems to come from area of the dashboard..?? Cannot hear any steering noise with bonnet open...but then engine noise drowns it out anyway...

Most noticeable when car driven slowly, but then as speed increases it drowns out the noise...so I think it is there all the time.

Now, I thought perhaps it was something as silly as the steering wheel rubbing on the steering column shroud...but I think not.

Car has Service Plus cover...but I dread going to the stealers...takes them at least 3 visits to fix things in my experience.

Any ideas???

Snap, but on a smaller scale.

I could of sworn it was coming from the centre dash board at the top were the vent is, and its kinda bugging me.

..fluids are fine.

With engine not running the noise is not there when I attempt to turn the steering wheel.

So, methinks it is the steering pump.

A lad at work has a C180K on a 52 plate. He had the same or similar problem and the steering rack ended up being replaced.

A lad at work has a C180K on a 52 plate. He had the same or similar problem and the steering rack ended up being replaced.

It's the 'ended up' bit I'm worried about. Took 2 visits to get the collapsed suspension sorted, another 3 to fix the rain sensor, 2 for the CD player, 2 for the CAN bus errors, 7 (yes seven) for the bodywork defects, 2 for the bonnet lacquer delaminating, 2 for the rusted exhaust and underbody, 5 for the rattles, and 1 for the black smoke on cold start-up.

I know all the Kenco coffee blends in the customer area off by heart.

Guess I will have to book it in. My wife will be ^&*^&%$ furious as it is her car.

Groaning steering

Hello,

Any ideas???

check front disc and wheel bearings! you may have a warped disc !
Ads

..and today the driver's side electric window got stuck in the 'down' position.

$%^&*$ Mercedes.

I think Mercedes need hitting with a big stick.

I've got this on my W210 E320CDI. It seems to 'groan' more when the car is hot. I thought it was just a case of lubricating the bush in the steering rack but it still persisted. Decoupled the steering column from the rack and turning the wheels confirmed that the noise is coming from the steering rack itself. Been told that the rack itself is £1200 (ouch!!).

The noise sounds like the suspension top mounts. But without hearing it..........................?????

I have the same on mine - e320 cdi with 110,000 miles. It seems to have got worse in the last couple of months. Its More noticeable when the engine is hot. The sound seems to be travelling up the steering column from the rack which makes sense as it acts like a conduit.

Now, I had almost exactly the same sorts of sounds on a 1995 Ford Scorpio granada. I was reliably informed that the cause of the problem was one of the power steering hydraulic feed pipes - (a combination of flexible and steel piping about 2 foot long) and guess what - I bought a new section, fitted it and it cured the problem outright. It was a common 'known' problem on this Ford model and the noise may have been down to the shape of the pipe run, or possible restrictions in the pipe causing the sound.

I'm seriously tempted to investigate this on the merc' as it makes sense to try this first.

Remember that the front suspension on a 203 is VERY diferent to a 210 and unlikely to have any related faults.

Thanks for your input...very useful.

The noise is certainly only there when the engine is warm: I too suspect the steering rack.

I will book it in asap...thank heavens for service plus. Though I fully expect the dealer to say 'Can't find anything wrong, mate.'

They can also fix the rust issues at the same time.

dd

Did you book your car into the dealer to get the steering checked? I'd be interested to know the outcome.

I’m surprised no one has said put the STAR machine on it..... LOL that’s usually the first answer on here.....

The Steering system, pump, rack, rod ends, are all serviceable items and are all prone to wear and tear. The way the power steering works is the pump does as it states pumps liquid (power steering fluid, special one on these Merc's a CHF11S don't know why but just that's the way they are designed) into the rack creating the Power bit of the steering. Now as the pump is pumping away it’s constantly under stress hence the special oil (CHF11S £10 a litre from GSF). This Oil will become weak over a period of time and will need changing.

Poor maintenance will cause a leak and the loss of Fluid. Now what usually happens is people not aware of the special fluid (CHF11S) will go to their local motor factor and ask "have you got any power steering fluid?" and the shop keeper will say either "it's over there" or "what colour is it?" followed by "its over there" Then the Mercedes driver buys what he believes is the power steering fluid for his car and puts it in his car.

The steering noise goes away for a while as it refreshes the system but does not realise this will cause more damage than it fixes.

Weeks or months later the noise returns but this time he's recommended a miracle fix a bottle of Power steering fix he puts this in this works for about a week and he’s back to square one.

I'm not saying you have does this but maybe the previous owner has or the car dealer has? Or if this is at the first stage and no one has cross contaminated it with the wrong fluid then help may be at hand.

Take the lid off the power steering reservoir and jack the car up make sure you secure the car with axel stands (safety first) find the return pipe for the power steering undo the nut and make sure you don't lose the washer. Then get someone to help you and turn the steering side to side while the power steering fluid drains from the pipe. When it’s done its business put the pipe back on and pour in some new correct fluid (CHF11S) followed by a really good power steering flush.

Don’t lower the car down leave it up there. If its a manual make sure its out of gear, start it up leave it running while you turn the steering lock to lock. What this will do is flush the system and hopefully get rid of any sludge that may have built up in the rack. Basically follow the instructions on the flush carton/tin.

Then after sufficient time has passed switch the car off and get back under the car and take the return pipe off and drain the fluid again. Once you’re convinced the oil has been drained reattach the pipe remember don’t lose the washer or it will leak.

Refill the power steering reservoir and with the car off turn left to right, the level will drop, once it does start the car and turn the steering lock to lock a few times. Then switch off the car and top it up to the dip mark on the reservoir cap.

Hopefully this should cure the problem if not its more than likely going to have to be a Rack change. If you’re keeping the car buy a recon one if you’re not keeping it or on a budget get a used one. Sometimes the difference may only be £50-£100.

Good Luck, I ended up changing the rack but mine had done a fair bit of miles 170k

Last edited:
I’m surprised no one has said put the STAR machine on it..... LOL that’s usually the first answer on here.....

:bannana: :bannana: :bannana: :bannana: :D :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom