w203 groaning steering

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

louisv6

Car
Car
Merry Newmas everyone!

My w203 had a mildly groaney right-hand turn if I was turning up hill ever since I bought the car in October(?). Well before xmas anyway.

As the weather has gotten colder, the groaning has become worse, and it now groans (and an accompanying groan-related mild vibration) in both directions for the first 5 minutes or so. Once warm, it's fine.

Is groaning steering something that should worry me? Or is it likely to be a belt that needs replacing or something equally acceptable to my wallet?

I'd rather not pay for someone to dig around my engine bay if it's something that I can ignore for a while...

Thanks

L

Check the level of your power-steering fluid in the reservoir.
If the level drops, the pump draws air and this causes the groaning in the PS system.
Be sure to top up with the correct MB P/Steering fluid.

Could also be that the ball joints are starting to sieze - Thats what happened to my SL

You can lubricate the ball joints (penetrating oil) as a short term fix if there is no play in them - but replacement is the long term answer

I was thinking same thing as Mark safest to get it looked at asap.

Lynall

Check your front suspension springs, cold weather increases risk of breakage.

Thanks guys. Looks like I'm making a trip to my local garage then.

Dread to think how much I've spent on servicing cars these last couple of months... Must time these things better...

Will let you know what they say in case anyone's interested.

Agree with Nick above - my W203 had split covers on the front suspension and when it was looked at by my Independant Advisor the drivers side spring had sheared off at the bottom! 2 arms/ 2 springs later and all now back to normal.
Would suggest immediate action bearing in mind wether is not improving either

It must be a "merc thing" because both my E class and vito have broken front springs and yet i have never had it happen on anything else:(

The roll bar bushes are also common to creak.

For anyone that's interested, this turned out to be groaning because it was low on power steering fluid.

I'm trying not to think too much about where it went... but it's topped up and hasn't groaned for a month now...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom