W203 - Head Unit Removal ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mr Gee

Car
W 2 0 3
Hi

Does anyone know how to remove the Head Unit (picture below). Its fitted in a W203 pre face lift - Thanks

HU-W203.jpg

Mr Gee

Excellent Chrishazle !!

This is fitted in my Dad's car and he wants to upgrade to a CD player model (Audio 10 -which he already has) - Looks straight forward - I will attempt to do this over the week-end and leave some feedback.

Yep, I've done this too. The guide is very good, I found the hardest part was getting the vent outlets off, the clips in the back can be a bit awkward. Once you have the trim off though the head unit is a breeze, particularly if you are putting in a Merc CD player.

I just did the swap out replacing the old cassette player with the new single slot CD head unit.

All works fine, however, the steerign wheel controls do not work and neither does the dash information. All the leads are exactly the same, like for like. I simply unplugged them from the old unit and slotted them into the new one.

Anyone shed any light on this issue ?

Thanks

Was it an MB unit?

Mr Gee,
yep, it should just work! I'd suggest taking it out again (hassle I know, but you don't have much choice apart from leave it the way it is) and check the connections. If still no joy plug your old cassette unit in again and see if that works, if it does your CD player must unfortunately be faulty.
Tim

Tim Q

Thanks for reply -

Removed Audio 10 and re-inserted old cassette unit - all working fine including steering wheel controls. Swapped out again and Audio 10 is fully functional bar the steerign wheel controls and dash display - However, I seem not to be alone on this subject according to Ian Hunt: http://www.mbclub.co.uk/forums/electronics/74548-audio-10-cd-upgrade.html who is having the same issue.

Then Id suggest for some reason it needs recoding on a star machine.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom