W203 Headlamp Locators

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Flash

MB Enthusiast
Car
Mercs
W203 Healamp Locators

To all W203 owners (saloon)….

I’m trying to establish if the Headlamp Locators are faulty on my car and will need your help please – in the dark when I open just the boot lid from the key thob the headlamp locators (exterior lights) do not activate – The only time that the headlamp locators activate when the boot lid is opened from the key thob (in the dark) is only for the first few minutes after the engine has been running and switched off.

I’m sure that the Headlamp Locators used to activate on my previous W203s (in the dark) that every time that the boot lid was opened from the key thob (regardless to whether the engine had been running previously…) its not something I paid to much attention to at the time…

Please could someone check on the car if the headlamp locators function from opening the boot lid from the key thob after the car has been switched off for i.e. more than 15 mins…

When I queried this with the work shop controller at a dealership he honestly did not have a clue and agreed with everything I said and finally said “errhh its not meant to activate the headlamp locators then… if its not working…” – I could have said that he was a p*ick and he would have still agreed with that…– that’s just how unhelpful/clueless he was…

Thanks

Flash

Flash said:
To all W203 owners (saloon)….

I’m trying to establish if the Headlamp Locators are faulty on my car and will need your help please – in the dark when I open just the boot lid from the key thob the headlamp locators (exterior lights) do not activate – The only time that the headlamp locators activate when the boot lid is opened from the key thob (in the dark) is only for the first few minutes after the engine has been running and switched off.

I’m sure that the Headlamp Locators used to activate on my previous W203s (in the dark) that every time that the boot lid was opened from the key thob (regardless to whether the engine had been running previously…) its not something I paid to much attention to at the time…

Please could someone check on the car if the headlamp locators function from opening the boot lid from the key thob after the car has been switched off for i.e. more than 15 mins…

When I queried this with the work shop controller at a dealership he honestly did not have a clue and agreed with everything I said and finally said “errhh its not meant to activate the headlamp locators then… if its not working…” – I could have said that he was a p*ick and he would have still agreed with that…– that’s just how unhelpful/clueless he was…

Thanks

Flash

Come on guys... little bit of help please...

Flash

locator settings

the headlight locator function it setup in the menu's using the steering wheel buttons.they can be set from 10 seconds to 60 seconds,also can be headlights or fog lights..
have a play

mercmanuk said:
the headlight locator function it setup in the menu's using the steering wheel buttons.they can be set from 10 seconds to 60 seconds,also can be headlights or fog lights..
have a play

Thanks for your reply.

I know how to setup the Headlamp Locators/Interior Light Delay etc. from the software menu but am finding that the Headlamp Locators do not function when the boot lid is opened (in the dark) from the key thob.

The Headlamp Locators will only function (if the boot is opened) if the engine has been running/switched off for the first few minutes afterwards. Just want to check if this is normal or not before I take the car in my local Dealer (where I bought the car from...)

I would have thought that the headlamp locators should function (in the dark) everytime that the boot lid is opened from the key thob (not only just for the first few minutes after the engine has been switched off...)

Flash

locators with the boot

hi
ive just tried mine and they dont work when the boot is opened,only with the doors

And mine! I think that's because the doors don't unlock when you open the boot.

If I then shut the boot the lights flash to confirm the alarm is active again.

Forgot to mention, just unlock the car first with the button then pop the boot and problem solved!

RichardM said:
Forgot to mention, just unlock the car first with the button then pop the boot and problem solved!

Thank You very much guys - much appericated - thought that the car had developed another additional electrical fault.

The new E Class is quite cool - the Headlamp Locators function everytime that the doors are unlocked (day light) where on the W203 it is controlled by a light sensor.

Cheers

Flash

I'm sure mine only come on when its dark when I unlock the doors. But the light sensor is so sensitive a slight cloud cover makes the lights to come on.

RichardM said:
I'm sure mine only come on when its dark when I unlock the doors. But the light sensor is so sensitive a slight cloud cover makes the lights to come on.

The sensors on the previous cars I have had were very sensitive too – but on the current car they are not as sensitive – I believe that the sensor may be faulty…

I could be mistaken but on a W211 E Class Saloon that I saw on a bright sunny day – the headlamp locators functioned when the vehicle was unlocked – the car was on a 52 plate. I assumed that there must be a setting for this on the menu on all W211 models…

I had contacted MB tech Support asking if a dealer could program the software so that this feature could also be available on my W203 like on the W211….. MB replied saying that this feature is only available on the W211 and cannot be done on the W203 – may be worth checking Richard if you can set the settings for this on ur car from the software menu.

My Dad’s friend took delivery of a E240 (Cubanite Silver - like urs) in January – lovely car – He took my advise and had it debadged… its got all the toys in it too Sat Nav etc.

Flash

I'm not quite sure why anyone would want the lights coming on in bright sunlight, what's the point? There is an option to have the headlights on all the time through the menu, maybe that does it, but I just have them on auto.

Last edited:
RichardM said:
I'm not quite sure why anyone would want the lights coming on in bright sunlight, what's the point? There is an option to have the headlights on all the time through the menu, maybe that does it, but I just have them on auto.

The Headlamp Locators came on during the sunlight when the car was unlocked - yes it is pointless to have them on during sunlight but is just one of many features/toys on the car (and I certainly would not mind having this option/feature on my car...).

Flash

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom