W203 Ignition lock problem.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Tim203

Hi, has anyone had problems with ignition barrels on this model. When the key is inserted and turned all dash lights appear as normal but starter doesn't work as if interlocked when it is not in Park or Neutral. It's intermittent but becoming more frequent. Spare key behaves the same. Any pointers gratefully received.
Tim.

I asked Terry to have a look at this issue when the car was being serviced at Wayne Gates (highly recommended :thumb: ) , but of course is was working perfectly and started every time while in the garage.... there were no fault codes showing on STAR, and without seeing the issue occurring it can be difficult to pinpoint the culprit.

If it gets any worse (which it probably will... ) I may need to go down the expensive route of replacing suspect components one by one and hope for the best.

I once had a similar issue on another car, and on that occasion it was the inhibitor switch (that prevents the car from being started when the auto transmission is not in Park), so I might start with that. Replacing other possible culprits - the Electronic Ignition Module (EIS) or the immobiliser to name two - is more involving so unless there's a clear indication that either is at fault, it is best left for last I think.

Last edited:
Mrs. 203 reckons she's sussed it MJ. Put your seat belt on before starting, see if that works.

Ignition switch-front Sam-starter motor.

Either of the above really, you need to get the car to someone who is familiar with Mercedes.

Mrs. 203 reckons she's sussed it MJ. Put your seat belt on before starting, see if that works.

Thanks, I'll try this... though it is still odd, i.e. why would it be intermittent?

Ignition switch-front Sam-starter motor.

Either of the above really, you need to get the car to someone who is familiar with Mercedes.

Thanks, Terry from WG had a look but there's nothing showing on STAR, and with the fault being intermittent, it is difficult to diagnose while it is not occurring...

Tim203 said:

Forget this one. Since trip to Germany car getting worse. Faults being thrown up on dash including battery and ESP, coolant etc. will check battery voltage and check out alarm as recommended and report back.

Dec said:
With the car unlocked, you could unplug the car alarm and see what happens. Dec https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BzmpeK1TFfw <a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BzmpeK1TFfw">YouTube Link</a>

Tried this Dec but no change. Took car to Indy and a guesstimate cost is £30 star +2 hrs at £60 hr + Vat.( so £200) People moan at our firm charging £35-40 hr for TIG welded fabrications!

I've noticed though MJ that the car starts better when cold. When car has been run and doesn't start, the dash lights up, normally brings up coolant fault, ESP and visit workshop but more significantly the radiator cooling fans come on. I guess there are a number of 'modules' on this stupid car that could be replaced but it does make me wonder if a temperature sensor/fan switch is faulty.Have you noticed yours doing that or don't you wait long enough to hear the fans come on. I only left the ignition on to see if anything changed and if any more worry lights would appear. I really would like to punch this car in the face sometimes! You wouldn't want it as a getaway car that's for sure. I spent ten minutes talking to my folks on their doorstep yesterday whist trying to start the barsteward. They eventually left us to it as the Archers was due on with the court case verdict an all that!

On my car it usually happens first thing in the morning when the car is COLD... :(

And it had thrown no warning lights (yet...).

So potentially not the same issue?

Is the problem the fact that the starter will not spin?
I had a similar issue on my 203. All lights came on but occasionally nothing when the key was turned to start.
Turned out to be a loose nut holding the main supply cable to the starter motor. Removed nut, cleaned up the contact faces, new nut, tightened up and no problem afterwards.

Tony

^^^^ Thanks for the suggestion . I'll have a look later.

Does the 'P' appear on the dash when it won't turn over?

Have a similar issue at the mo. Some mornings the two symbols 'P' & say 'S' won't appear so the car won't turn over. If I leave the ignition on for 5 mins, up they pop & away we go!
Spoke to my local indy & he recons gear selector module.....

c32pilot said:
Does the 'P' appear on the dash when it won't turn over? Have a similar issue at the mo. Some mornings the two symbols 'P' & say 'S' won't appear so the car won't turn over. If I leave the ignition on for 5 mins, up they pop & away we go! Spoke to my local indy & he recons gear selector module.....

Hi, yes have noticed that as well. I will get my wife to look for that next time it does it( I mean tomorrow!). Thanks, Tim

Happened again this morning. No symbols on the display. Leave ignition on for 6-7mins, turn ignition off &back on & away she goes....... :dk:

Mine has done this but normally is temp related. When it's not going to start fans come on coolant warning lights come up etc. From cold more often than not ok.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom