W203 indicator stalk. What were mercedes thinking!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

strangep1

Car
SLK 230
Having owned my first w203 c220 cdi Estate face-lift now for a few months, I'm more than happy with it. However, one thing really gets on my nerves and it's the whole indicator/wiper stalk affair.

Did mercedes get a 6 year old to design it? The twist on the end for the front wipers is straight forward enough I guess, but the awkward reach round for the rear wiper is just logistic madness. Add to that the push in wash wipe that normally manages to activate everything 'except' the wash wipe. Also when the front wipers are on, the indicator stalk becomes very uncomfortable to use because of the now angled end.

I realise these are petty things to get worked up about, but I still can't believe someone actually sat down and thought it was a good design.

Anyone else agree?

I think a German thing... I had Opels with it in the '80s

It's a bit hefty, but I've not had an issue using mine. The push to wipe button sticks in sometimes which threw me first time it did it.

Rear wiper operation is fiddly in all cars.

Don't get cross with it - they do snap off!

The rear wiper switch on our Vito is a rocker on the dash (right over towards the passenger seat) - now that IS an awful design!

Ive always found it worked very well, and ones of the things i missed on my previous car's, It's nice having everything (almost) on 1 stalk.

But then again there's not much i dont like about my s211 :)

A strange first post………different to the customary, hello; I am new to the forum, I guess.

As for the stalk, it is not difficult to use. Just how big are your hands or how clumsy are you that you end up activating "everything except" even after a few months ownership? And it may have been designed by a six year old but that says more about the adult that can't use it than everything else.

The rear wiper switch on our Vito is a rocker on the dash (right over towards the passenger seat) - now that IS an awful design!

IIRC, the 211 estate has the switch on the central bank below the stereo. No chance of finding that without looking down!

Our W169 A Class has this (or similar) arrangement as well as a second stalk above it that takes care of the cruise control/limiter. It took me a few journeys to get used to the positioning of things but after that no problems with it at all…I often found myself fumbling with the cruise control when I was looking for the indicators!

Many thanks for all the replies, especially giantvanman who did make me smile.

I guess they got it right after all with so many happy users.

Add to that the push in wash wipe that normally manages to activate everything 'except' the wash wipe.

Anyone else agree?

Push it harder:) 2 stage switch....

Many thanks for all the replies, especially giantvanman who did make me smile.

I guess they got it right after all with so many happy users.

Mine has 3 stalks, close together, on that side. Took me a little while to get used to what does what, especially as I did a lot of driving at night.
I had trouble with the volume controls on the steering wheel as well. Press volume bit too hard when trying to turn up sound when needing to hear something louder, and quickly, and horn goes off.
Not done it so often now though.

Neil

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom