W203 judder

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

v_man

Car
C200K
Hey guys. I've noticed (recently) that when i'm applying the foot brake and am stationary, at say a traffic light, the car will kind of judder every 20 or so seconds, as if i've let go of the foot brake, and move forward very slightly. Then it returns to normal. This only happens when the car is on, standing still, in drive, whilst the foot brake is applied. However after half an hour of driving, it no longer happens.

Oh and i've also noticed a 'knock' noise coming from the front whenever I do a full lock.

Could anyone please give me any suggestions as to what could be causing both of these problems?

Last edited:
v_man said:
Hey guys. I've noticed (recently) that when i'm applying the foot brake and am stationary, at say a traffic light, the car will kind of judder every 20 or so seconds, as if i've let go of the foot brake, and move forward very slightly. Then it returns to normal. This only happens when the car is on, standing still, in drive, whilst the foot brake is applied. However after half an hour of driving, it no longer happens.

Oh and i've also noticed a 'knock' noise coming from the front whenever I do a full lock.

Could anyone please give me any suggestions as to what could be causing both of these problems?

Try this,

1. Turn the ignition key to the on (not start) position.

2. Press the gas pedal to the floor and hold for five seconds.

3. Turn the key to the "off" position (don't remove the key), then release the gas pedal.

4. Wait at least two minutes for ECU to reset

failing that youve got the famous torque converter bug, in which case its a visit to the stealers im afraid

Ok i'll give that a go. Whats the torque convertor bug, and is it expensive to fix?

The knocking noise could be the ball joints. Even if only one ball joint is worn, its best to replace them both, but best to get this checked first, by a good indie.

Thing is I had the ball joints replaced by the stealers 2 months ago.

can't help you than, but I was sure it was the ball joints. I had the same knocking noise as well going over bumps and round corners.

I am assuming they replaced both???

Yeh they replaced both. Gonna take the car to the indy and see what they say. If it does turn out to be the torque convertor (the juddering), how much is this likely to cost?

It could be your power steering belt.
the alternator pulley can cause problems like that

If it is the torque converter, I belief labour is about 4.5 hrs work. Also as you will need to drain the transmission oil, its best to replace the gasket and filter at the same time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom