W203 limited slip differential. Does someone?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Car
W203 C270 cdi
as per title does someone have installed one? Any input, experience and in particular how can work with ESP/ASR?

probably the factory one is provided with a connection for the sensor of ASR, so the new LSD how could be interfaced?

thanks for any input

As I understand, looking at mine, you will need a different abs unit. Mine is about 50% larger than a normal one and you will also need the resulting wiring and units to compliment it.

As I understand, looking at mine, you will need a different abs unit. Mine is about 50% larger than a normal one and you will also need the resulting wiring and units to compliment it.

do you have an LSD on your W124?

But is it a mechanical LSD or a sort of electrinic LSD?

does someone else know somethng about a W203?

Quaife offer an LSD for the W203 AMGs, but don't list one for other W203 models.

That's not to say they don't have one that fits - just that they've never fitted one.

Try contacting Quaife directly.

Quaife offer an LSD for the W203 AMGs, but don't list one for other W203 models.

That's not to say they don't have one that fits - just that they've never fitted one.

Try contacting Quaife directly.

yes thanks and I've foud this tread, probably it's has been never installed an LSD on a W203. at least in this forum:rolleyes:

I'm wondering how LSD can work with ASR

I read on US forums - where this is now more common as a mod as a couple of tuners have become distributors - and they've reported no changes to electronics being required, and no errors IIRC. Effectively the sensors are triggered later as the LSD prevents wheelslip, but still function in the same way as without the LSD.

I read on US forums - where this is now more common as a mod as a couple of tuners have become distributors - and they've reported no changes to electronics being required, and no errors IIRC. Effectively the sensors are triggered later as the LSD prevents wheelslip, but still function in the same way as without the LSD.

thanks a lot, it seems an expensive mod in any case:rolleyes:

In terms of the difference it makes to performance, apparently it's excellent value, as it makes it possible to use more power more of the time, and even aids straight line traction too.

The cost of installation will be high though if you need someone else to do it.

Ultimately the benefit will be felt most by vehicles that have reserves of power which can't be used to insufficient traction, so it will make a bigger difference to high-power cars.

I've found it quite usefull in my previous RHD cars an M5 E34 but also a 318i E36, so not necessary with realy high power.

but could you confirm that C30, C32 and C55 come without any kind of LSD (mechanical or electronical) even as possible factory option?

so at Mercedes Dealer they can't help with factory equipment?

thanks again

Unless it's a recognised (i.e. MB endorsed) modification the dealers will not want to know.
Unless it a listed (i.e. documented in WIS) retro-fit the dealers will not want to know.

The AMG W203s don't have a mechanical LSD from the factory. Electronics do their best and fail as they can be a bit on/off with the way it intervenes with power delivery.

The Quaife ATB LSD should be much more progressive as it's gear driven and therefore infinitely variable.

Quaife ATB diffs have disadvantages too, they only share the torque between wheels as long as there is some resistance from both wheels, but if you lift a wheel off the ground, or get one on ice or wet grass they go open the same as a normal diff, on the other hand they are normally quieter and smoother and require less maintenance than a proper plate LSD.

The AMG W203s don't have a mechanical LSD from the factory. Electronics do their best and fail as they can be a bit on/off with the way it intervenes with power delivery.

The Quaife ATB LSD should be much more progressive as it's gear driven and therefore infinitely variable.

should be quite frustratiing having a lot of power not available because with a wheel on grass the engine power is cutted by the ASR, I know this on my C270cdi but on your AMG beast is worst, isn'it?

Quaife ATB diffs have disadvantages too, they only share the torque between wheels as long as there is some resistance from both wheels, but if you lift a wheel off the ground, or get one on ice or wet grass they go open the same as a normal diff, on the other hand they are normally quieter and smoother and require less maintenance than a proper plate LSD.

really?:eek: if so it's exactly like having nothing (=open diff)!!??

I've found it quite usefull in my previous RHD cars an M5 E34 but also a 318i E36, so not necessary with realy high power.

but could you confirm that C30, C32 and C55 come without any kind of LSD (mechanical or electronical) even as possible factory option?

so at Mercedes Dealer they can't help with factory equipment?

thanks again

I seem to remember that the LSD only became a factory option on the C55 - but it might have been the C63. Never a factory option on C43 and as far as I know never a factory optopn on C36 or C32.

I seem to remember that the LSD only became a factory option on the C55 - but it might have been the C63. Never a factory option on C43 and as far as I know never a factory optopn on C36 or C32.

yes but I remember that at the time of C36 W202 there was the option for DSC ...or DTC or something like that, a sort of electronic limit slip differential

really?:eek: if so it's exactly like having nothing (=open diff)!!??

not exactly because on a road even a spinning wheel will provide some resistance so the diff will send power to the other wheel, in the sort of conditions we had earlier in the year though when a lot of people couldnt get their cars to move at all then an ATB is useless. the advantage of an ATB is that it has no clutch plates to wear out and is more progressive in action.

For road use they are ok, if your a bit more manic then a viscous diff may suit better as they are also pretty smooth and quiet in operation and dont effect low speed cornering, they can lock and unlock a bit unpredicably though in a slide if you dont keep your foot down and the torque on em, a plate diff is much better for track day use and hard driving, but they need setting up properly as they can be set to lock at varying wheel slip percentages and also how suddenly they lock, if set up tight to keep slip to a minimum they can snatch andf grab while turning sharp corners, they also occasionally need the clutch plates replaced although generally they do takes ages to wear out

As has been quoted already Kleemann and Quailfe do LSD's. The C63 can be ordered with LSD as part of the performance pack. Not sure why you would need an LSD with a 270 CDI though? and what would be the benefit?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom