w203 m111 engine misfire and stall when hot

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

tdh-syorks

Car
2002 W203 C180 2.0, 1988 W201 190e 2.6, 1993 VW Polo G40
Hi everyone, me again.:ban:
had to call out a recovery last night as my car packed in again, so need some help from you guys,

so the cars been running absolutely fine for around 4 months since i replaced the top breather hose and cleaned the butterfly in the throttle body,

however yesterday we made a trip to ikea in leeds, ( i live in sheffield ) so not really a long journey, the car was fine on the M1 on the way and back too, as soon as i pulled off the sliproad near home and started driving at slow speed the car started to hesitate massively so i tried more revs,
the car just cut out,

i tried to start it up again and with a struggle it did, problem was it was only running on 2 cylinders, and trying to cut out, it was as though there was no fuel in it, but i still had over 20 litres in, after leaving it for 5 minutes, the car started and ran fine, as soon as i set off it died once again.

so same again, i waited 5 minutes again and fired it up, without putting the car under pulling load i put my foot to the floor and let it rev to the 4000 limiter, keeping my foot there the car ran fine, no misfire or signs of stalling, this lasted for around 40 seconds until the revs just dropped on their own as though id taken my foot off,
the car shook violently and cut out, i instantly fired it up and it was running on 2 cylinders again and was trying to cut out again,

there was a really strong smell of unburnt fuel and oil. then came on the engine management light,:eek:
luckily i had my code reader handy in the glove box and plugged it in,
it read misfire on cylinder 1, (thats all it picked up )
i erased this and tried to start the car again.

it just kept basically repeating itself, if i left it it would start fine and get worse, if i started it straight away after cutting out it was only on 2 cylinders,

having no tools on me i couldnt really check much, im hoping that this morning ill be able to start it fine and see how long it runs before acting up again,

the only think i managed to check was that the fuel pump was working, as the fuel rail always had high pressure even when missing.

other than that im stuck, im going to check the coilpacks later (dont know why because it seems to be a temp related issue):dk:

i was thinking cam sensor, throttle position sensor or collapsed cat,

can anyone help?? im really stuck on this one. :wallbash::wallbash:

many thanks Tom

got a similar problem with mine at moment, done a lot of research and am going through process of elimination at present.I think you could be right thinking its temp related,found out that faulty crank angle sensors can cause the problem you describe, as they go bad when the car heats up.hope this is some help good luck

regards Martyz

A crank sensor fault will not cause missfire fault codes on this engine.

It needs plugging into a Star and some basic checks carried out.

Hi, crank sensors do sometimes break down at hi temp before complete failure. However, if it was knackered, I doubt it would start.

I wonder if you have a coil pack issue, they also give grief at high temp before failing completely. I can't remember exactly off the top of my head but, seeing as you have a code reader, why not try swapping the coil packs and see if the detected misfire fault code changes cylinder and goes with the coilpack? Might just save you some cash.......

as above, the symptoms do not match the crank sensor scenario at all, and the sensor should not be under suspicion.

also as above, coil pack will be a top suspect for 'breaking down' when hot.

i would add that fuel rail pressure (although stated as being OK) could be a suspect, especially if a pattern fuel filter has been fitted at some point.

checked crank sensor and seal had gone, it was pissing oil all over the loom, the coolant temp switch was saturated and the socket was full of oil, ive removed the crank sensor and cleaned away all the oil from the loom, sealed the sensor and replaced.
car seems to be fine again but i havent really taken it on a long run. ill keep you posted.

Is that it sorted? Just out of interest, where there any coolant temp sensor fault codes?

so far so good, the car hasnt thrown any more codes up and has ran spot on:),

no it didnt throw any coolant faults up, the only code i got was misfire on cylinder 1.

Hi everyone, me again.:ban:
had to call out a recovery last night as my car packed in again, so need some help from you guys,

so the cars been running absolutely fine for around 4 months since i replaced the top breather hose and cleaned the butterfly in the throttle body,

however yesterday we made a trip to ikea in leeds, ( i live in sheffield ) so not really a long journey, the car was fine on the M1 on the way and back too, as soon as i pulled off the sliproad near home and started driving at slow speed the car started to hesitate massively so i tried more revs,
the car just cut out,

i tried to start it up again and with a struggle it did, problem was it was only running on 2 cylinders, and trying to cut out, it was as though there was no fuel in it, but i still had over 20 litres in, after leaving it for 5 minutes, the car started and ran fine, as soon as i set off it died once again.

so same again, i waited 5 minutes again and fired it up, without putting the car under pulling load i put my foot to the floor and let it rev to the 4000 limiter, keeping my foot there the car ran fine, no misfire or signs of stalling, this lasted for around 40 seconds until the revs just dropped on their own as though id taken my foot off,
the car shook violently and cut out, i instantly fired it up and it was running on 2 cylinders again and was trying to cut out again,

there was a really strong smell of unburnt fuel and oil. then came on the engine management light,:eek:
luckily i had my code reader handy in the glove box and plugged it in,
it read misfire on cylinder 1, (thats all it picked up )
i erased this and tried to start the car again.

it just kept basically repeating itself, if i left it it would start fine and get worse, if i started it straight away after cutting out it was only on 2 cylinders,

having no tools on me i couldnt really check much, im hoping that this morning ill be able to start it fine and see how long it runs before acting up again,

the only think i managed to check was that the fuel pump was working, as the fuel rail always had high pressure even when missing.

other than that im stuck, im going to check the coilpacks later (dont know why because it seems to be a temp related issue):dk:

i was thinking cam sensor, throttle position sensor or collapsed cat,

can anyone help?? im really stuck on this one. :wallbash::wallbash:

many thanks Tom

Did you resolve this issue? I have the same issue on a 2001 C240. Have replaced MAF, Cam Sensor, Crank Sensor, Plugs, Wires, Fuel Filter, Cats and still have the same issue. The difficulty is that it's an intermittent issue. I get cel misfire codes for cylinders 1 and 2 and multiple misfire. I recently got a lean fuel trim code on bank 1, the last time it acted up.

hi all, also have a peculiar problem with my w124 220e 4-cyl 1993 model with a 111 engine. on cold start it runs very well and revs perfectly but as soon as it warms up then it stutters and just stalls. if you leave it to cool down 20-30min then all is well again until its hot again which is now all the time with our hot weather here. can now only drive at night. i have changed the 2-fuel pumps, filter and fuel-pump relay. any help please from this nightmare. before i could go as long as the temp was down or if it started stop for 10-20mins n all is fine again, but now its 1-5 miles and its a no-go even at night with cooler temps. where is cam sensor + idle valve??

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom