W203 misting up

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

John Kerr

Car
W209 CLK 220CDI Sport
I have a W203 220 CDI MY2001.the inside of the glass is misting up very bad.When I park up after a run the next day the glass is very wet inside,I have checked under the carpets all dry the boot is dry,when I drive the car I have to have the aircon on all of the time or it mists up.The only thing I can think of is the evaporator on the aircon not draining does anyone know how I can check this and where under the car does the drain tube exit so i can check this for a blockage.

Many thanks in advance John Kerr

My car did this and was traced to a water leak in the boot, my wifes car W203 c320 also does the same thing as yours but has no water leaks at all, she does park it up hill and a look under the bonnet and you can see a few puddles here and there so maybe drawing damp air in?

I have had the front mats up the boot trim out and its bone dry.

Maybe air con drains blocked, i checked mine and they were clear have to look at wifes yet.

My drain pipes were either side of the gearbox tunnel up high you will need to get right under the car to see them, be careful, stands etc

Lynall

I had the same issue with mine, especially after I had the car washed. I also thought that water could be collecting somewhere, but didn't find a thing!

What did help and cure this for me was to set the blower on my fan from 2 to 3 so as to blow a little more and circulate the air better. This seemed to sort this out. I have digital climate control and the aircon turned off. Don't know which one yours is but its worth a try and would be nice to know the results if you do John?

;)

Could be your air-con is not working correctly...may have a leak or need regassing?

I find my W203 mists up if I switch air-con off, so this could be your problem.

Regassing air con costs around £80. Depending on whether a dye has been added in the past, they can also check for leaks ussing ultraviolet light (I think)

I find my W203 mists up if I switch air-con off, so this could be your problem.

That's exactly what it should do. Air con will dehumidify the air, making it dry and stopping the usual misting problem at this time of year.

Also check air vents in & out are not obstructed & that filter is ok

That's exactly what it should do. Air con will dehumidify the air, making it dry and stopping the usual misting problem at this time of year.

That's why I suggested checking that there are no leaks and that the air-con is fully gassed.

dont take this in the wrong way, but have you checked if your 'recirculation' is on?
if so, turn it off, this will cause misting up, as there is no fresh air coming into the cabin.
check and air vents towards the rear of the vehicle, so you get a clean flow of air, from front to back.

you shouldnt have to drive with the air con on all the time, just to clear the windscreen if ti gets misty, to give it 'blast' of air con.

if it 'wet' (condensation), then check for windscreen cracks, or the rubber lining (can think of what its called right now!!!), if there is gaps, cracks. a friend of mine had this, and he had terrible trouble with condensation on his screen.
also might be worth feeling the carpet right up under the dash, if water is trickling down from the top, but not quite getting to the floor.

Many thanks for all your suggestions I will look into all of them.

A happy Christmas to all. John Kerr

I thought too much talking (especially by women!) and not enough driving in the car causes this problem...

:confused:

Yes, however if you switch your air con on (assuming it's working) you won't have any problems with misting up. Doesn't sound like there is anything wrong - just use your air con.

Yes, however if you switch your air con on (assuming it's working) you won't have any problems with misting up. Doesn't sound like there is anything wrong - just use your air con.

I do like to have it off at times as I find the air gets too dry.I do think you should be able to switch it off without car misting up.

John, my wife has to run with a/c on all the time to stop the misting, mine was the same but since boot dry i have not had a/c on for few weeks now and still nice and dry.

X332 If switching the a/c off makes everything mist up you have the same problem as John.

Ie the car should remain dry and condensation free without the a/c, so if a/c needed all the time you are having to dry the air out constantly.

Ps at work we have a/c machine costs all of £10 for a regass for employees:D

Lynall

condensation

An update on my post about car misting up.After not finding any water leaks it occured to me that the airflow in the car exits through the wells in the sides of the boot.One side I have some tools the other side was full of empty shopping bags I also had a dust sheet in there I laid out to take some stuff to the tip.Since I have opened the wells up I don't have the bad condensation.Just a though if anyone has a similar problem.

Merry Christmas to all John Kerr

Is this the same on the W203 Estate ? Mine always mists up if I switch off the AC - The boot is always full !!

Cheers
Adam

check and air vents towards the rear of the vehicle, so you get a clean flow of air, from front to back.

small hint!

well done, glad you got it sorted....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom