W203 MOT failure - multiple restraint system and airbag DTCs

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Slue

Car
2003 Mercedes C Class - 2008 VW Caravelle
Hello - I'm new to the forum and trying to figure out whether it is worth saving my trusty and much loved 2003 Kompressor

Long story short I parked near the river near Richmond and came back to find water in my car. I limped home, let the car dry out, replaced a couple of fuses and everything seemed to work as normal. I didn't realise at the time that there are significant SRS components under the seat. Unfortunately when I took the car in for an MOT there were multiple errors recorded including:

B2D95 Restraint system ECU-N2/7 Faulty
B2DB7 Restraint system ECU-N2/7 Faulty
B101D Window Airbag ignition squib - R12/22 Ignition circuit shorted to battery
B101B Side airbag ignition squib - R12/42 ignition circuit shortage to battery vo
B101F Window airbag ignition squib-R12/23 ignition circuit shorted to battery
B10B0 Driver airbag ignition squib-1R12/13 ignition circuit shorted to ground
B10B1 Driver airbag ignition squib-1R12/13 ignition circuit shorted to ground
B100D Driver emergency tensioning retractor (ETR) ignition squib
R12/1 ignition circuit shorted to battery voltage

I've taken it to my local mechanic who said he couldn't estimate how long it would take to sort through the errors - he suggested I try to talk to a Mercedes mechanic. I took the codes to the Mercedes dealership but they weren't interested in having a look unless I was ready to pay to have the codes sorted through (which he suggested was probably not worth it given their labor rates).

I'm a bit flummoxed as to what to do now and I need to either get it back on the road or find a way to sell / dispose of it :-( My question is whether these error codes mean anything to those on this board and whether they give a feel for whether or not it is worth chasing down a potential fix or essentially a candidate for the scrapyard only. I'd love to keep the car going if possible but don't want to spend more than it is worth.

Would very much appreciate any/all advice. Thank you!

MoT don't read error codes. Was the SRS lamp illuminated?

Those codes need clearing and then re-read after a short journey to see which, if any are current. A good independent is the best bet. Whereabouts are you located?

Did the water get up to the level of the centre console ?

The main ECU has complained it has failed (N2/7) - so wondering whether that got wet (given it is also complaining a load of it's outputs are shorted to positive)

There's electronics behind the passenger kick plate in the foot-well (where you rest your feet) etc etc - mostly when cars get water in the interior area they get written off.

Cheers

Richard

Last edited:
Thank you for the reply whitenemesis. I live near Twickenham. Sorry, you are right re: the codes. They came from the diagnostic the mechanic ran I guess to see why the SRS light was on (my assumption anyway). In the research I've done I haven't been able to figure out whether the codes are "one time" faults or ongoing faults. If they were one time faults then presumably if I could clear the SRS light they wouldn't need to look closer to get through MOT. I used to really enjoy working on this stuff but the electronic systems are out of my league.

Thank you richard. The water was down to door level when I got to it. The seats weren't soaked but it is possible that it got close to top and the central console. It would have had to be a hell of a rise in water level but supposably there was a "storm surge" in the river around that time. Is the N2/7 something that is practical to replace?

I didn't know about the electronics in passenger footwell. The water certainly came up to that level.

Yes, N2/7 can be replaced, but you really need a new one rather than a used one as they are locked to the car's VIN. They cost about £345

But, as whitenemesis says, best to get it to someone with Star Diagnosis that can investigate. You are near Comand.co.uk in Lightwater (M3 J3), worth seeing them

The trouble with fixing wet cars, is once you have sorted one fault, you may well find others, so very hard to really know what it will cost. Also, there is lots of foam under the carpets, which you need not to stay wet.

Last wet car we saw, we took the seats, carpets etc out, and put them in a paint drying oven over night and only had to replace the HK amplifier. They were quite lucky (and it was a downpour with the roof down, not river water)

Cheers

Richard

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom