w203 not blowing cold from outside?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

deian

Car
'01 W203 C200K Auto Estate
Hi again,

My new (to me) w203 estate doesn't seem to be blowing cold air from outside, I think (sure) it has AC (will renew the gas when I know it's blowing the coldest without it), but with the fans on the coldest settings and the AC off it's still not as cold as the air from outside if I put my hand outside of the window.

I've seen this filter thing above the battery, surely the air intake doesn't come through from there (as in from above the battery), this would suck warmer air from inside the engine bay right? Is it not directed from the outside?

(OR lets assume the above it not the issue)... Could it be that the electronic flaps that control the air flow temperature (through the matrix), or the water temp through the matrix doesn't fully get to it's extremest setting to let the temp be cold?

Ahh, annoying! I'd like to set it to Auto and have it settle down when it reaches the temprature. Any ideas? Thanks

Deian

If the transfer valve (Tx Valve) is stuck or broken it will do that. Obviously may also happen in low gas situations.

But lets consider the AC if off or not there, and I still think the air is too warm for the cold setting (even though it is colder outside)

... as per original worry (I went around the world to explain it I know, so the real issue may have been lost).

There outside air intake is as you describe above. Its above the battery. So will be sucking in warm air from inside the engine bay itself.

^ +1

Hence climate control / air-con. Freezing cold air being drawn in on a winters morning wouldn't help warm the car interior. The system maintains a comfortable cabin temperature and doesn't just cool the interior. Depends on what temperature you have the controls set to.

The air-con is activated when the light on the switch is OFF.

Last edited:
so its "meant" to be not as cold as outside because its designed to work in conjunction with a properly working air conditioner?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom