w203 Oil In loom Please help

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

alexdyer

Car
CLK 320
Hi there I am new to this forum as of today and am after some help.
I have a w203 2006 c180 kompressor
I have had the engine light come up on the dash without any effects whatsoever to engine performance or operation.
I read the codes and it came up with P200b exhaust cam hall sensor. reading some threads about this I feared the worst about leaking cam hall sensors and loom damage.
I looked in the loom and oil had reached the ecu also.
I have replaced the entire engine loom and the sensors and still cannot get the code for the cam hall sensor to dissappear!
the code will be away until the engine is started , it holds it as a pending code and then turns to a stored code after the ign is cycled!
I have opend the ecu up, which took forever! and could not see any oil contamination on the board , however I fear that if it has got in there I cannot see it as it would be on the other side of the circuit board that I cannot access.
Does anynone have any experience with this at all?
Could I have missed something?
I am ope to any offere of help.
Kindest regards
Alex

This fault code "can" be related to a stretched timing chain.

It is best to check the engine timing first and the sensor on a scope.

I have changed the sensor for a new one and have also swapped them around and still nothing!
I will check the timing tomorrow.
How many degrees should it be?

Not sure unless I look it up.

Whats the first six number of your chassis.

I will check when I get home in an hour or so.
talk in a bit

Is that what you meant? Or the six after the letters,? If so wdb203746
Thank you alex.

when you replaced the loom did you fit blockers to stop it happing again

i had a car do this recently and the timing chain had to be replaced it was stretched so much it was like a banana its a single timing chain and they are know to do this (stretch)

I haven't as yet fitted the blockers. A friend is picking me up what he called pigtails and also some sort of grommet.
I am wIting on someone to give me the timing info so that I can check it tomorrow to see if the chain is stretched.
Is there another way of checking without dismantling ?

yes some people may call them pig tails but they just stop the oil traveling down the new loom

as for the timing chain you may hear it and also the code you got kinda says it all

im afraid

The engine sounds sweet with no rattles or clicking or anything!
That was why I was going down the electrical route.

Also the engine has only done 50 k with service history.

its a 271 engine they are well know for this trouble

i have seen many w203 w209 and others with the 271 engine with this fault and others

in my opinion the worst engine ever for mercedes and they know it

ok from otto in ireland german car parts supplier 140 euro for chain and two tensioner's

one seal also needed for timing chain cover

you may need to change the thermostat also but you will know that when you take out he old one

i have just rang a friend who is a head mechanic in ireland for MB and with that code dont drive the car as you will do more damage that is what he said

on the code P200b exhaust cam hall sensor

which you have i hope this helps

you also have to factor in coolant

Hi thanks for the info. I am going to order the chain and kit tomorrow .
If anyone has any tips on the replacement I am very open to the advise.

Can anyone give me the information on how to loosen the tension and then retension the cam chain tensioner after chain replacement?

Hi thanks for the link however I cannot see the info I need. I have started another thread asking for replacement procedure of the chain.
Thank you once again
Alex

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom