W203 P0171 Error Code - help !

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

David J

Car
Mercedes CLS320 CDi
Looking for some help here guys. Ive had the engine management light on for months but car runs fine ( although fuel consumption is terrible ). Was told it was error code P0171. Had it cleared. it came back . Had it cleared again. It came back. Last night I bought an OBD2 reader and sure enough P0171 error code. Cleared it and went a drive. Seemed fine for about 20 miles , slowed for a roundabout , accelerated away , back on. Stopped in a lay-by , reset it , light out , on my way again. 10 miles later Im home and light still out.
Driving to work this morning all ok , stop at a set of lights , accelerate away , light on again :-(
So . . . on reading up with the help of Google, it would seem the probable culprit is a vaccum hose under air box ???
Would any of your MB gurus have a photo of said hose in situ ? Im not too bad with the spanners if I know what to look for .
Driving steady the light will stay out - it only triggers when slowing or stopping then accelerating away - My Inspector Clueso instincts are thinking maybe it is indeed a split vaccum hose and the slight movement of the engine etc ( if any ) when pulling away could be enough for any split to open enough to allow excessive air to pass . Just thinking out loud here . . .
If it helps the car is a 2005 C180k . . thanks guys. :confused:

Absolutely fantastic ! this forum is the best ! thanks R2D2 dont suppose I could be a total pest and ask if you have a picture from a tad further back to make finding it even easier ?

When you remove the airbox completely (and the breather pipe at its rear) you won't miss this little rubber tube!

Hi just an update and a huge thank you to all that helped. I eventually managed to work out how to gain access to this pipe and as diagnosed there was a 1" slit in the pipe. I had enougbh free to cut off the damaged part and re-attach the pipe - reset the EML , went a good drive and all seems fine. Thanks again .

IMG_0472.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom