w203 parking brake problem

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

garystu1965

Car
Mercedes E350 CDI Coupe
Anyone had a problem where the parking brake won't quite release all the way so the red warning light stays on. Then when driven a bit further the big red parking brake light comes on and a shrill beep sounds. The only way to get rid is to put my foot behind the pedal and pull it back.

Looks like another trip down to the Stealers for you under warranty again....

culpano said:
Anyone had a problem where the parking brake won't quite release all the way so the red warning light stays on. Then when driven a bit further the big red parking brake light comes on and a shrill beep sounds. The only way to get rid is to put my foot behind the pedal and pull it back.

This is caused by a build up of brake dust on the hand brake shoe ratchet adjuster - requires removal of rear discs & a good clean out with brake cleaner, wire brush etc.

You may find that if you press the hand brake pedal down really hard it will spring up with no problems - if you tend to be a bit girly with it - this is when they tend to stick.

Gunny
C Class gone - replaced with SAAB 93 TURBO Auto(with proper hand brake)

The 203 C Class's rely heavily on parking brake shoe and cable adjustment to pull the pedal all the way up (and put the warning light out). Unfortunatley 'adjustments' are not covered under warranty but any self respecting dealer should carry out the adjustments as a gesture of goodwill!! :crazy:

Be warned culpano: parking brake on my 2003 C-Class never worked properly--even after the A-service. Then at the B-service they found it had been eating into the disks--these had to be replaced under warranty.

Also, parking brake problems are not an unheard of issue for the stealers...get things done sooner rather than later ;)

hi
the linkage which is under the rear seat for the handbrake sezes up so it doesnt turn the light off

if you remove or lift up the rear seats there is a black cover in the middle if you remove the cover you will see the linkage you will see whot i mean knock it and it will return all the way and your light will now be off

lub it and work the handbrake it will free off

hope this is ok

Cheers for the info.

Had my footbrake sorted a couple of times while under warranty but the problem returned shortly afterwards. Now it's out of warranty I will have to try a spot of DIY.

Thanks AMGBoy for the info. Freed up and applied plenty of lube. Not suprised it plays up as the exhaust just underneath it must heat up and dry out the lube.

C220 w203 hand brake warning light

Thanks AMGBoy for the info. Freed up and applied plenty of lube. Not suprised it plays up as the exhaust just underneath it must heat up and dry out the lube.

Had the same issue and its sorted now. Rusty mechanism causes the problem but once oiled / greased, should work OK.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    230.6 KB · Views: 92
Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom