W203 Problems.. Loss of Power

riceboy

Car
C270 CDI Avantgarde SE
Hi guys,

I am very concerned about my w203 c270 cdi. I was out for a drive today and the car was going fine until I pulled out to overtake a slower car and had very little to no acceleration at all. I understand the car is meant to have around 168-170bhp but it felt like it was using only around 50 of them, it was very slow indeed. Infact about the same pace of an old 1.0 micra of mine. There were no surges in power or coughs or sneezes from the car what so ever. No warning lights and no smoke coming from the back of the car. I stopped a couple of miles down the road and switched the car off and on again, this seemed to cure the problem and the car was running fine again. This only lasted around 10 to 15 minutes and it went back to sluggish mode. I have switched it off and on a few more times and there is no change.

The car isn’t making any funny noises, no dash warning lights, no smoking, no crazy signs under the bonnet and no abnormal noises. The turbo can still be heard to be working and the car is still revving just as normal (not limited to any rpm) but the kick down does not work when in its go slow mode.

I’ve searched the forums and my problem seems to have slight variations from others.

Any suggestions what it might be? Does it sound like a MAF problem?

Thanks for your help

Andrew

davidjpowell

MB Enthusiast
Car
E350 w212 and Ford Ranger
Sound like limp home mode.

Getting the car on STAR should probably be your next step. This should give a good indication of why it did this...

OP
OP
riceboy

riceboy

Car
C270 CDI Avantgarde SE
Thanks guys. We have public holidays over here at the mo so the garages are shut :( Does driving the car in get me home slow mode do any damage to the car at all? I wouldnt have thought it does but would like to be safe than sorry.

I've read through a few more threads and i think i'll disconnect the MAF sensor and that will hopefully give me an idea.

Thanks for your help

Andrew

EdmundIJones

Car
Mercedes C270 CDi
Did you resolve this problem? I'm experiancing exactly the same issues. From what I can tell disconnecting the MAF automatically puts the car in limp home mode.

OP
OP
riceboy

riceboy

Car
C270 CDI Avantgarde SE
Did you resolve this problem? I'm experiancing exactly the same issues. From what I can tell disconnecting the MAF automatically puts the car in limp home mode.

Hi there,

The problem was the MAF sensor. I disconnected the MAF and there was no difference in the cars performance hence it already being in limp home mode so just replaced the sensor and everything was peachy.

Hope this helps

EdmundIJones

Car
Mercedes C270 CDi
Yes thank you, I'm convinced my problem is MAF related and it sounds identical to yours. I'll get a new MAF and give it a go.

EdmundIJones

Car
Mercedes C270 CDi
Thanks. Yes it was the MAF, got a new one from Car Parts | Spare Parts | Car Parts Online | Motor Spares, same make as the original one for £46, I probably could have gone for the £32 version but thought I'd be safe going like for like. Fitted it in a couple of minutes and everything was then good with the world again.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom