W203 "pulsing" steering on partial lock

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MartinWildsmith

Car
W 202 C250TD 100K
I have just taken delivery of an 04 W203 C220 CDI from the local MB dealership. Whilst it's mainly great there is a very peculiar pulsing effect that feeds back through the steering when the steering is on partial lock e.g when going around large roundabouts. The effect is for the steering to give the feel that the lock is tightening and releasing every second or so. I have also managed to reproduce it with the car stationary and in gear (auto box). The dealership say that this is due to "wear within normal limits" but I'm far from convinced. It didn't occur on my W124 E250D nor my W210 C250TD both of which had in excess of 120,000 miles on the clock when I had finished using them.

Has anybody had the same problem and if so what was the cure so that I can tell the dealership what to fix under warranty because if it doesn't come up on the diagnostics they won't have a clue! By the way the car has done c 75K and is now on brand new tyres.

I had a similar problem on my W208 CLK, though only really noticeable on a tighter lock.

It ended up being worn bushes on the drag link steering rack.

i've never experienced it on my w203, it should be a fault. i suggest you take back and take another for a drive to see if u get the same feeling

I think i would ask then what exactly is worn and what are the limits?

Maybe even stick it through an mot.

Lynall

Good points. Thanks for this, I'll follow them up.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom