W203 rear shelf removal

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

scottydee

Car
2015 W204 coupe, 1989 Pontiac Trans Am GTA, 1984 Honda V65 Magna
Can anyone let me know how to remove the rear shelf on a W203 Saloon? One of my speaker covers has an annoying buzz with certain base notes so I need to have a look and see if I can secure it.....

Remove rear seat.
Remove C Pillar trims.
Pull out shelf.

Couple of bolts/nuts under the front of the base.
Once that is out you will see the nuts for the backrest of the seat.
1 in each corner and 1 in middle from memory.
C pillar trims have T20 or T25 Torx screws under the plastic badge.

Are you sure you have speakers in the rear shelf? I don't have any in mine. (Facelift model - post 2004).

That said, looking at the underneath of the shelf from inside the boot, there is a circular part in the metal pressing that looks as though it could be for mounting an additional bass speaker.

Yes, there appears to be two base speakers in there (I poked my finger through from underneath and could feel the speaker cone.)
I think there's six speakers altogether - two in the front doors, two in the back, and two under the shelf.

Try this link ??????? it shows all the options for speakers, depending on which audio system was originally installed. (Maybe it was changed with the facelift)?
If I recall correctly the bass speaker was an optional extra and not fitted as standard.

I have Audio 20 with a speaker in each of the four doors, plus two tweeters in the front doors adjacent to the door mirrors. I don't have the rear shelf bass speaker or the one in the front facia.

Mine had a 10 inch bass speaker on the shelf, firing downwards.

Rubbish thing it was, I disposed of it pretty swiftly!

On my w203 the back rest is removed by two bolts at the lower front, and in the boot by removing two small plastic covers high in the top, and unlatching two locking mechanisms with a large screw driver. There's a hold in the backet, put a screwdiver in it and push to left. Unlocked. All this after first removing the base, three bolts on the lower front.

I was presuming that the OP doesn't have the folding rear seat option, obviously that's very different but a lot easier to remove the shelf.

Thanks everyone for the help. I'll have a fiddle around with it at the weekend.

V12 - no I don't have the folding seat option.

I feels as if there are two speakers in the shelf - one facing down, one facing up! (or that's how it appears)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom