W203 Rear Sub-Frame alignment ?

Discussion in 'Wheels, Tyres, Brakes & Suspension' started by brucemillar, Jun 18, 2011.

1. brucemillar

brucemillar MB Club Veteran

Car:
    C55 AMG Wagon - W124 300te 4matic Wagon - BMW 4.8is X5 E53 - SWB Pajero 3.5 V6 24v
    Hi

Does anybody know if there is any adjustment/movement that can be made on a 2004 W203 rear sub-frame?

I am trying to work out an issue with my cars rear alignment. Basically one rear wheel sits further inside the arch than the opposite wheel. That same wheel also sits slightly further forward than the opposite. This suggests that the rear sub-fame is on car at an a slight angle and not quite centered.. I can see no other explanation for this. Across the width of the car we are looking at .5 of an inch and length (front of arch to back of arch) it is also about .5 inch out.

The wheels are the same off-set, tyre size etc.
    The car has had the geometry checked by WIM and it is all in tolerance.
    There is no obvious body work/repair that would cause such a change.
    The Sub frame does not appear bent or twisted and neither do the control arms etc.

I am thinking...Is it worth loosening off the rear sub frame and trying to move it?

Is it bolted on by the four nuts on the underside?

Many Thanks

Bruce

Last edited: Jun 18, 2011
  2. nick mercedes

nick mercedes MB Club Veteran

Car:
    Ford Expedition
    Either the subframe or some the arms are bent.

3. OP
    OP
    brucemillar

brucemillar MB Club Veteran

Car:
    C55 AMG Wagon - W124 300te 4matic Wagon - BMW 4.8is X5 E53 - SWB Pajero 3.5 V6 24v
    Nick

Do you know if there is any movement to be had by loosening the sub-frame and pulling it?

4. nick mercedes

nick mercedes MB Club Veteran

Car:
    Ford Expedition
    No, because where the frame bolts up with have flanges for the bushes to sit in.

I went through this with a Vauxhall I repaired, could not see any damage on the subframe, but the wheel was back an inch, cured with a new (used) subframe.

I'd change the arms first, and then move on to the frame.

W202/W208/R170 rear subframes were very prone to bending, W203 frames not quite so.

1 person likes this.