W203 Remap Experience...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Flash

MB Enthusiast
Car
Mercs
I would definitely recommend them and am well impressed with the remap they carried out on my W203 – the car absolutely flies now with stacks of torque and when she sprints its effortless….!!! – I used the mobile service and the technician Sam was fantastic and very professional and knowledgeable and really knew his stuff and was a really nice guy to. The price was fantastic too at £200 and he customised the remap and did not use generic files like a lot of companies do which are no good for the ECU.

Sam added an additional 35BHP and 55NM of torque and took out all the flat spots.

ECU Engine Remapping & Chip Tuning by Remap Science

I was not happy with the level of customer service that I had received from the likes of the MLS Centre (who are based in the Midlands) and advertise in Mercedes Enthusiast Magazine and Carlson UK (authorised dealer based in Essex) as not only did they quote silly prices but also were not helpful and willing to give myself any knowledge and info on the actual remap and power gains and MSL were more interested in selling myself a new back box for the exhaust and K and N filters which are not good for Mercs – Carlson even wanted to remove the ECU which is not necessary at all and wanted the car for a whole day where the remap should take no more than an 1.5hr if being customised like mine was.

The stealers were a joke as well wanted £1500plus for a Brabus box which does the same thing as a remap effectively does plus labour costs on top but I would only have gained an additional 25BHP and the parts dept were not able to advise me how much additional torque I would have gained.

Last edited:
Update: Shortly after posting the above thread I have experienced problems with the actual remap and with company "Remap Science" who had done the so called mapping - I will update the thread in due course and am restricted to what I can say at this moment in time.

Before commitiing to any remap think twice who you use and do not use Remap Science - funny enough it was through another member of the forum that did a thread and had used them hence I decided to give them ago.

hi

Good luck , if you need any advise let me know.

acid

Thinking of having mine remapped (NOT remap science) and would appreciate knowing what kind of problems you're having with the remap if possible?

Cheers.

Thinking of having mine remapped (NOT remap science) and would appreciate knowing what kind of problems you're having with the remap if possible?

Cheers.

Just make sure you get a decent reputable tuner/company.... I have PM'd you.

Sorry to hear you are having problems after a remap. Remaps can cause problems, I have read plenty of posts about people being really happy with the initial large performance gains, only to run into trouble shortly after.

I would give Remap Science a chance to rectify the issue - assuming it is just down to the remap, or are they not willing to help at all here?

Diesel engines can be remapped with some massive gains, however other components aren't neccessarily up to task - gearbox can often be the weak link. Need to make sure the company you chose has done their research on how far they can safely push the engine. A 530d can be mapped to produce more power than a 535d (stock), however, it can also just as easily shred its gearbox if tuned too far.

we had a remap 1 year ago had no problems with it used a company in hull pro tune Hull hope you get it sorted

Just had my 320cdi done about a month ago by Angel Tuning. Everything fine but any clues as what I should be looking out for?

hi i am about to purchace a ml 300 and was thinking of either a remapp or a chip box would appreciate feedback from members with experience

Just had my 320cdi done about a month ago by Angel Tuning. Everything fine but any clues as what I should be looking out for?

Yours may be ok with no issues - have you tied doing top speed where you are permitted on the roads of course....;)

Sorry to hear you are having problems after a remap. Remaps can cause problems, I have read plenty of posts about people being really happy with the initial large performance gains, only to run into trouble shortly after.

I would give Remap Science a chance to rectify the issue - assuming it is just down to the remap, or are they not willing to help at all here?

Diesel engines can be remapped with some massive gains, however other components aren't neccessarily up to task - gearbox can often be the weak link. Need to make sure the company you chose has done their research on how far they can safely push the engine. A 530d can be mapped to produce more power than a 535d (stock), however, it can also just as easily shred its gearbox if tuned too far.

The car has been flashed back with the orignal ECU factoriy settings - thats the most useful they have been at Remap Science - i have no confidence in the company and their level of cus services is awful at their so called office - however, the techncian who uploaded and flashed my ECU back to standard was a nice guy.

i have wlked away from them and they still refuse to accept liabilty for their remap which quite evidently was at fault.

The reason I asked is that the previous owner had it remapped and after owning the car for 3 years the inlet port shut off motor went and a year later the inlet manifold went both after 300 mile heavy footed runs and I'm curious to know if remapping is a factor

Get a decent reputable tuner that will accept responsibilty for their remap and is helpful then that is fine - just get something in writting from them to state that if their remap is defective and causes your vehicle issues then you will get a full refund if thats what you choose to have/or they wil correct it for you.

Down side of any remap as Azaman has said is that it can strain and casue mechanical components to go and need replacing if the perameters are exceeded.

Now that my standard ECU has ben flashed back on to the vehicle it now drives great and is powerful than it was with the remap on and not a single error code on Star diagnostic software. I have learnt the hard way but am glad that the vehicle drives beautiful again.

The reason I asked is that the previous owner had it remapped and after owning the car for 3 years the inlet port shut off motor went and a year later the inlet manifold went both after 300 mile heavy footed runs and I'm curious to know if remapping is a factor

This is not a direct answer to your post...

Any engine producing more power and torque will be more stressed and will not last as long and will not be as reliable as the more leisurely-run engine.

This is how VW made their reputation for reliable engines in the seventies and eighties - not notwithstanding the GTI, their standard 1,600cc engine was producing a mere 75bhps, which even in those days wasn't much when compared to rivals.

American motors of the same era only managed comparatively very low output from very high-displacement engines - 7L, and in one case even 20L. But they were virtually bullet proof.

Manufactures have since made significant progress in engine power production through advances in air intake, injection, valve technology, etc, as well as use of better metals, better lubricants, and tighter tolerances.

One way of producing more power from a naturally aspirated engine is through increasing the compression ratio. For a forced-induction engine, it will be through increasing the boost pressure, which is one of the main differences between lower-powered and high powered versions of the same engine. Many tuning kits do just that, increase the boost, which is also why forced-induction engines are much more responsive to tuning.

So the short answer is that producing more BHP and torque from any given engine is likely to reduce its reliability, whether done by the manufacturer during the production process or as an after-market kit.

Said that, reliability is generally a statistical issue (for electrical components we use MTBF figures), and the probability is obviously also related to mileage and time, so this is not to say that an ECU remap or tuning box will ruin your engine.

Also, some ECU remapping claim to simply improve MPG without increasing BHP or torque, and in this cases the engine will not necessarily be more stresses.

But back to your post, I have no idea if this anything to do with the fault you describe, which by the sound of it relate to an ancillary rather than to the engine itself.

Last edited:
I'm happy with the recent remap but it's not quite as torquey as the previous one so I'm guessing the first remap may have been a bit OTT. As the car was less than 2 years old with 16k on the clock your comments about running in seem to fit Markjay.

Update: Remap Science have failed to respond or even acknowledge my first letter and have chosen to ignore it. I guess that says alot about them even after they did a "dodgy" remap.

Looks like I will be going down the legal route just out of principal even though I will be paying more out at my own expense upfront.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom