W203 salon or estate

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ivandraganov

What are pros and cons..

Last edited:
Saloon was built in South Africa.
Estate was built in Germany.
Post facelift they are all nice.

My 2006 Saloon was built in MB's East London factory in South Africa, and it is one of the most solid and reliable cars I have ever owned (after the 1997 Previa...). Based on my own experience I would not hesitate to buy a another MB car made in South Africa.

What are pro and cons..

1. Estate is more spacious and more practical (obviously).

2. Estate is slightly longer and heavier.

3. Estate - potential issue with leaving goods in the car, though you could use the load cover - but a 'proper' boot with separate lock is considered more safe if you leave a bag or other goods in the car.

4. Estate - slightly higher cabin noise coming from the rear.

5. I expect that an Estate car will be more expensive to buy, and then easier to sell on - this is because in general, Estates are in high demand (though I don't know if this is the case specifically with the C-Class).

And yes the post-facelift (2004-2007) are far better than the pre-facelift model (1999-2003), though I expect this will also reflect in price.

On another note... if opting for petrol... be aware that the M271 petrol engine can develop a timing gear issue at around 100,000 miles, more so on cars that have not been serviced properly, so if buying a high-miler petrol car check service history carefully.

Will go for a diesel Mark,only thing cant decide is that the estate I'm looking for is C200 cdi and the salon is 220 cdi.I beleive they use same power plant..and the other thing is there much more air noise or just little more than the salon?

Last edited:
C220 CDI is more powerful - same engine not sure if its just due to engine tuning, or twin turbo vs single turbo - and also generally the C220 CDI are more sought after than the C200 CDI hence more expensive to buy. Sadly the C200/C220 CDI is not the most refined or quiet engine by modern standards though....

I am biased to the Wagon's (estates). The estate gives you everything that the saloon does but includes extra space. Merc estates do not feel like you are driving an estate and they look as good if not better than the saloons.

Is there difference in turbos,injectors between 200cdi and 220cdi,or 200cdi is just mapped differentley?

I am not sure, but this is the spec:

C 200 CDI 2.1 16V CDI OM611 S4 2,148cc
115 PS (85 kW; 113 hp)
122 PS (90 kW; 120 hp)

C 220 CDI 2.1 16V CDI OM611 S4 2,148cc
143 PS (105 kW; 141 hp)
150 PS (110 kW; 148 hp)

If you can find one, get the 270cdi. The engine possibly the best diesel MB made, plenty of grunt and 50+ mpg on a run. Very reliable in my experience over 140k miles.

+1 for the 270, I had one! Before purchase I researched the model, and the road test reports from when the 203 was first released all said that the 270 was the pick of the available engines - and that the 200 and 220 were under powered.

Will go for a diesel Mark

Are you expecting to do a lot of miles? When we were looking for our 203 (3 years ago) diesels were a lot more expensive. We got a very late (2007) petrol estate on 42k miles for about the same money as a 2004 diesel with double the mileage (or more).

BTB 500 said:
Are you expecting to do .
it will be under 10000

As others have said, the IL5 CDI is the best Diesel engine Mercedes ever made in my opinion; great fuel economy and the lumps are indestructible.

If you can, try and find a facelift C270.

I have a 2005 W203 320CDI Elegance SE estate, bought from a fellow member on here nearly 4 years ago at 100k miles. Fully spec'd, goes like a rocket when pushed but regularly returns 45-47mpg on a run, plenty of space in the back, rides well, goes round corners well, 70mph is 1800 revs, so under-stressed V6 diesel engine. Silky 7- speed tiptronic box, no rust issues. Very happy with it. Can't think what I'd replace it with for sensible money. If you can find one - buy it!

18 months ago I was between cars and bought a 100k mile 07 C180K estate for next to no money. I had a new saloon 10 years previously and knew the refinement of the car was good.
I have had diesels for the past, but as suggested, the price difference made the petrol a no brainer.
I have still got the car and it has cost just 2 x tyres on its way to 120k miles and I could probably get the same as I paid for it now;)
It is no sports car, but it is a great size, practical, frugal, refined and despite other cars in the fleet it is not about to be sold:D
Couple of weeks ago this what the mpg was saying:cool:
Who needs diesel?:devil:....or a saloon?

Attachments

• IMG_0689.jpg
    IMG_0689.jpg
    95.2 KB · Views: 21
Thanks everyone,probably will go for 2,7cdi estate,only my worries how much worse is the mpg in compare with 2.2cdi.The other point is the car too much nose heavy..

Last edited:
Never noticed nose heaviness with my C270! Also don't think there's very much mpg difference 220 to 270, I routinely showed 45mpg on domestic use and 50+ on long runs (dashboard figures, not "brim to brim" measurements). The good thing about the 270 is the grunt available when you drop the right foot - a useful alternative to braking at times.

I went for Elegance trim - enough toys but not too many. Avantgard has more fancy electrics - steering wheel adjust etc - expensive if they go wrong! Also mine was on standard 16" wheels so had a compliant ride, I'd suggest trying one on 17's if possible, last year I changed my S204 from 16's to 17's and it improved the drive without ruining the comfort.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom