W203 Saloon Illuminated sills

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
And these are the logos on rear sill plates in white

Last edited:
I think they look fantastic & admire your perseverence (sp?) hugely. I too have a W203 coupe (07 plate) & no skills whatsoever re fitting & electrics etc so would be looking for my local guy to do this. He's very handy, soooooo, how much incl' postage for everything I'd need to stick in a box & take it all to my garage and say "fit that" please? also, for someone who knows what they're doing so I could estimate his costs, how long to fit (approx) as well. Thanks and again, top work on these, they look just fantastic. Sorry, I'd be looking @ "Mercedes Benz" and the bluey lighting...

Hi thanks for reply. I did add a price breakdown on the other side, forgot to add one here. The whole set of four (4) comes to £180. Now I can vary it a bit but not much. Each plate costs me just under £15 with VAT & p&p + the EL (10), resins (5), a bit for me (electric) wire, connectors, el driver etc..
So you see I thought when I wanted a set I could / should make them for much less than you see advertised, but when you add all the bits up..... . However what IS different is they are just a bit better ;) for the money, as you can see.

Now the bad news. This is for a set of 4, for a saloon, yours being a 2 door will be a lot different, (longer) and for the moment these set just wont fit. At least pretty certain they wont.
Now fear not, because at the weekend I won an auction for one w208 standard sill, which I believe is a clk. now not sure that might fit your model but it means I can take measurements and will get some made.
If its not, I'm afraid you may have to wait until I can get a sill the same as yours. Sorry :rock:

Also regarding fitting, dont be put off, its very simple & straight forward. In addition I made these plates to not only fit in original plastic as replacements. But had the corners rounded so they can also be stuck on top over originals. Not ideal obviously but at least they can and saves messing with taking the old ones out.

Just checking for any reply and for anyone just reading I now realise it was a mistake my adding my posts here with a thread title of w203 COUPE. I cant change or move it now so I can only appologise for any confusion and make the point that for now the sill plates are for the w203 SALOON / SEDAN.

But I do hope to make some for other models inc. coupe soon.

Hi Clever Dicky, thanks very much for the comprehensive reply, appreciate it. I'll keep an eye on this thread as I really do like the idea of this. Can't guarantee a sale but am definately very interested. at this point, I can only wish you the very best of luck with your venture & hope you do make something from this as it'd be thoroughly deserved. Cheers again & good luck with it all...

I'd just like to add that I could be interested in some for a W203 Coupe. I'd like to see some pics of them fitted if possible? Also some close ups of the lettering and if you've got any of the blue ones lit up I'd like to see those too. No rush, I just thought I'd express my interest so you have an idea of how many people might want them. Cheers. Neil

Thanks, yes that is just what I need. When making mine, and discussing with others, it seemed like the whole world wanted them for a w203 saloon. Which is why I had a few made with Brabus and AMG. Oh well.

But the old stock sill for a w208 came today. All I can say is what nasty cheapness. But its not quite the same as it dosent have inserts. It just has two thin metal looking strips along the top. Now I can get a plate made to fit over, but then getting into the realms of whats already available. How do they compare to your coupe. Any chance of a pic or two and even better some dimensions?

Also regarding colours. There is a Blue (on) which is a deep rich summer sky blue, or there is WHITE (on) that sometimes has a slight tinge of blue. Depending on how you see it.
Which did you mean?

I was thinking about the blue in the top pic in post 20. Or maybe the white ones. I can definitely get you some pics and dimensions, either tomorrow or over the weekend. As far as dimensions go, what do just need? Is it just the central oval, aluminium looking part?

Yes the oval. I have a pic somewhere I took at a car show of CLK AMG that had oval insert. So much better if it is. Harder to measure though. Would have to come out if it is the case. No idea what shape / size otherwise.

Anyway a couple of pics off hdd. Cant find the ones I have of inserts fitted now but I'll keep looking. These are old prototype ones. The mb logo has gone now, the blue is aqua more blue / green. (sooo old skool ;) ) I only have a pic of them indoors before I replaced them with white. And the other is the only raw close up of letters, but its the back of a plate.

Last edited:
I've taken some photos as requested. The length of the silver part (at the longest bit) is 800mm and its 30mm wide. I hope these photos help.

_DSC2374.jpg

_DSC2375.jpg

_DSC2373.jpg

Thanks. Neil

Yeah they do. brilliant thanks.
Gonna have to try and get one to take apart. They are just the sort to mod :)
Now it would be great to compare with a Clk W209. Ive a feeling they're the same. Anyone got any?

Clever Dicky, I would send you a PM but I'm one of those newbies so can't just yet :(
Any progress on looking at making these for the coupe? Really liking the look of the white ones. Just wondering also, can some sort of dimmer be wired in to them so you can set your own brightness?

Clever Dicky, I would send you a PM but I'm one of those newbies so can't just yet :(
Any progress on looking at making these for the coupe? Really liking the look of the white ones. Just wondering also, can some sort of dimmer be wired in to them so you can set your own brightness?

Hi, yes a dimmer is possible as they are a resistive load. But as the current they draw is so small it is hard to get much variation. It's actually the frequency of the inverter output that determines the brilliance, so I can vary the voltage going in a bit. But I'll have a play for you.

What were you thinking dim or bright because once the resin and colour pigment is in there, you wont be blinded. Also the logo choice makes a difference. Because the letters of the Mercedes-Benz are quite narrow they just look nice and bright but there isnt much light out if you see what I mean. However the bigger letter ones like the amg and brabus have much more lit area.
If your reading now give me 10 mins and I'll take some pics of some Im just finishing. These are brabus and amg in a deep red. :)

Right here you go. I just rigged these up so you can get an idea. I did have a tiny value resistor (60ohm) on the supply, but you could barely see them. Colours like plain white are the brightest but these aren't bad.

These pics I've just taken in my kitchen with the light on, the other is with out and no dimming. Too bright ?

Last edited:
they look awsome mate. I would be interested in a set for a CLK 350 sport cab especially if you could do something like AMG CLK. what sort of cost are we looking at. Also to answer your qustion no they are not to bright,Top work
Chaz

By the way, regarding your question on coupe sills (sorry I waffled on too much and forgot) try as I might I just cannot get a set anywhere. I keep checking breakers and ebay but need one for a template. Getting them cut and so on would be no harder but just cant seem to get one. I did manage to get a pair of late CLK w208 sills which are very similar (I did think they might be the same in the breakers) but sadly not. I'll keep trying.

So far I have -

w203 saloon
w208 CLK (late) Sadly the early's are just a rubber strip
BMW mini (cooper)
SLK
and a universal FORD

they look awsome mate. I would be interested in a set for a CLK 350 sport cab especially if you could do something like AMG CLK. what sort of cost are we looking at. Also to answer your qustion no they are not to bright,Top work
Chaz

Thanks.
I just copied this from what I wrote on the other side - so I dont make any errors. But before you read this as above I only just got a pair of clk sills to model on. I've done the drawings with the same logo's but not submitted any artwork for pricing yet. If the logos are the same there's no difference there, just about twice as much metal. Also there are only two per car so that will make a huge difference. I'm guessing here but somewhere in region of 80 - 120.
Still a lot of money sadly, just cant help that. right this is what I wrote on the other side. Comments welcome.
The colours I have are quite deep and rich and are not really changeable to any degree. There may be some very slight variation between each batch, so no 2 'sets' will be exactly the same.

Now to summarize, what I will be offering (for now) will be replacement plates to fit in ORIGINAL sills. I have designed them to fit INSIDE, but can also to be stuck with appriate sponge tape on top of originals and should still look ok. I wouldnt recommend this, but its an option for some who might choose this method for easy removal, keeping original stock etc. Each front sill plate is handed, to better centralise logo to door opening rather than position of plate. This is something I chose to do and is not available on any sill from any supplier I'm aware of.

These are for car model MB W203 only, (C class saloon / sedan). They may also fit w204 but cant confirm this. They may also fit other models, but again I cant be sure. In time I do hope to make some specifically for other models.

Now colours Im pleased to offer are RED, BLUE, GREEN, PURPLE, YELLOW, WHITE. ORANGE
The sill plates are currently 'brushed' stainless 0.9mm thick with laser cut lettering. Each logo is NOT copied from original, but close, because some alteration has been made to prevent parts of the lettering falling out when cut etc. And that also includes the addition of tiny tags to support letter centers. Each sill plate will have a EL strip mounted to the rear. It will NOT be removable. And each letter or segment of logo will be filled with a special resin pigment that becomes as hard as glass that can be cleaned / polished as needed. There is often some shrinkage in the cure and some reduction from polishing. So they are not always flush. But I think this just adds to the effect and adds depth and class to the plates. Logos available are 'Mercedes Benz', 'AMG', BRABUS. I also had made some universal 'Ford' logo made for friends wives, aspiring MB owners cars etc.

Now costs.
Forgetting previous purchases, this is an approximate breakdown of the costs for each part of the process and a modest cost for my time for the parts I have and will be using now. Obviously I will continue to strive to reduce these for any future designs but I dont believe at the moment there is much scope. I have rounded the costs to the nearest fiver.

EACH plate / sill

Stainless steel Plate inc cutting 15
EL strip 10
Resin / pigments 05
me profit electric 10

x4 = £160

El driver / power supply, connectors, wiring looms 20

Total per set 4 plates £180

Now the whole purpose of doing this was to make these affordable. To the best of my ability I dont believe I can make them for much less. And that is with very little return for me.
However I believe they are exceptional in looks and very unique. So if you feel this is cheap and find it affordable then I will be happy to accept a tip or donations. If you feel its alot I will consider making only the front two for anyone that cant afford a whole set. If you feel its expensive, buy a set from MB. While I cant compete with mass production techniques or advanced machinery, they do look very good, VERY unique, and very different to stock. But these are for PRIVATE owners only, no trade purchases and one set per owner unless a good reason such as two cars. Also if anyone is found to re sell any, I will stop making them for everyone. Simple as that!

Because not everyone is happy doing DIY or soldering etc. I would recommend getting someone to do this who is. For anyone local, and for a reasonable rate I could also offer to fit in either the plastic panels and if need be fit in the car.
Also should anyone prefer any of the parts to make or modify their own, I will be happy to sell what parts I have for costs. After all the more I buy the cheaper I can get them. So get in touch and let me know.

Of course I'll post a few more pictures and I will ask anyone who does buy and fit any to show them off.
But for now I'm going to start the process of making a few sets. I appreciate choices maybe difficult without seeing them for people but if anyone is seriously interested and has a definite idea of what they want to see next week in the classifieds, please let me know. But please dont ask if your not sure. They are a lot of work.

Thanks for reading

This is a great read! I've fixed your thread title to saloon btw.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom