W203 Saloon Illuminated sills

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Loving these Dicky - assuming I can easily fit a set to my 203 estate?

Yep. Ones I've seen had the same door sills, so yours should be the same. But take and post a couple of pics and a few measurements just in case.

(you can use them for before and after as well ;) )

Replied. Look forward to receiving them.

Right then guys, hands up all those that want gorgeous new illuminated sills for their COUPE.
happy_205.gif

Because within a few weeks I should have some ready. But what would you like to see illuminated. I can do longer but not this time, so for now the logo / lettering must be no more than 200mm long (8 inches approx) but it can be anything you all agree on. I can have separate ones done, but it costs more and takes longer. But if its something like Mercedes-Benz or Mercedes Coupe etc. Entirely up to you.

Colours, you can have what you like so don't worry about that.

Have a few days to think about it.

Colours and lettering i'll need to think about, but i also want to measure up the size and the 200mm thing, ecause i may opt for a little extra cost, if i can increase the length a bit.... 200mm is not much when you look at the size of our 2 door entrance steps.

(stock writing/engraving covers 190mm)

my car is debadged, so having "C350 Coupe" in the sill illumination is tempting, or as the limit is 200 (about the same as the stock engraving) yet the ally section is, as said previously is about 800, so i'd almost be tempted to go with "Mercedes-Benz C350 Coupe" .... and i also like the little logo you did too

as for colours, well i know we are also chatting on the other site (lol, this isn't going to get complicated at all is it !).... i like these ones...

23989d1307475111-w203-saloon-illuminated-sills-2011-05-20-21.03.19.jpg

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Ok that's good. Regarding the pictures, the top is white on / white (slightly pink off) the middle is green but lousy camera picture, and the lower is a blue with a custom tint. If you really want longer text i could get a seperate quote, but would prefer to use a couple of designs / logos popular with all. But up to you. Another option i just thought about was using two ELs and a longer design on one sill. :) Getting a bit too expensive but WOW.
:D
If its something others would like even with the extra cost I'm up for it especially if its something like Mercedes-Benz Coupe. I could even use two colours on one sill.
OMG say yes

Last edited:
white is out then - dont want the pink tint LOL (but the text font/style/design is perfect)

the rest of it you read my mind.... will post back later or over the weekend gotta go out now

You're going to have to get a little production line sorted soon mate!

Is there no way around the pink tinge?

Last edited:
Surely you're never going to see them when they aren't lit up? If they light up as soon as the door is opened? Or have I missed something?

Surely you're never going to see them when they aren't lit up? If they light up as soon as the door is opened? Or have I missed something?

Not sure what you mean. You do see them unlit, ie day time, but they only light up at night when its dark. But your right in that its harder to see letters during the day un lit. But no harder than the plain stock foil pressed plastic, Mercedes deemed fit to adorn our cars with.
But thats why contrasting colours are good like stainless and red / green / blue / yellow / purple / and even whitish. They look great even off. Have you seen this pic (below) of some I did in red.

This is UN-lit during the day. :)

But I'd like to know what all those poor guys think who bought sills that have little black plastic windows to look at during the day. :(

Sorry forget to mention. I've got these for sale over on the other side in the classifieds. Selling cheap as well because I dont think they're good enough ;)

Last edited:
I assumed that they were wired to light up with the interior light - does that not come on when you open the door regardless of day or night?

You're going to have to get a little production line sorted soon mate!

Is there no way around the pink tinge?

I'm trying mate, really trying. Just doing another set for my own car :) but still there a little. No way as bad as my first set, Im using different ELs and a white pigment. For some reason the science or physics means that pink phosphors in the EL makes the best white. And at night its just, sorry have to use this word, beautiful. They have a sharpness and crisp white light its hard to imagine. A bit like certain white LEDs. Trouble is getting that balance right to mask it when off but allow enough through when on. I'll get there ;)

I assumed that they were wired to light up with the interior light - does that not come on when you open the door regardless of day or night?

No. Have you not ever had a look. Or does yours come on during the day?

But even if it did, say you had a fault or an old model where the light just came on with the doors any time. Would it matter ?

I can't say I have ever checked it out. I know my other cars do. It doesn't make a massive difference. I just thought they'd be on whenever the door was opened that was all. I'll stand corrected though, like I said, I've never checked.

you've got me curious now lol.... but it's pretty overcast and dingy here, so i reckon the lights will come on automatically, so if the interior light is controlled in a similar way then i would expect it to come on.

how would the aqua and green would look together ? say "Mercedes-Benz" in aqua and then "Sports Coupe" or "C350 Coupe" in the green ... covering about 400 of the 800 sill plate (off-set to the rear of the door opening)

other than that, the last pic i posted - that blue is really alluring.

Your thoughts on daytime looks are also a consideration i guess we should consider, how would the green and aqua look un-lit ?

I have no doubt about it mate.
Did you receive mine all ok?

No not yet. I was hoping they might at least come today. But nothing - not even piza leaflets.

At least then I could have measured up and done the cad and sent first thing Monday. Would have been the first job of the week.
Bloody royal mail I guess.
Oh well.
It was RM who you sent them with ?

Did you get a tracking number ?

Oh crap really? That ain't good. I sent it recorded first class as well, yes with Royal Mail. Bloody cowboys.
I'll dig out the number. It'll probably be Monday. I hope they haven't 'lost' them. I need that like a hole in the bollock

you've got me curious now lol.... but it's pretty overcast and dingy here, so i reckon the lights will come on automatically, so if the interior light is controlled in a similar way then i would expect it to come on.

Thats right but that dusk period when its light but getting dark to switch light on is quite hard to see them normally. You can tell they're on but only just. Needs to be proper dark to 'see' them lit up. I did post some pics somewhere of just this. And they came out quite well. Sensitive Camera I guess.

how would the aqua and green would look together ? say "Mercedes-Benz" in aqua and then "Sports Coupe" or "C350 Coupe" in the green ... covering about 400 of the 800 sill plate (off-set to the rear of the door opening)

No No No. Sorry, even I could never do aqua and green on the same sill. You just cannot have two different greens, or any colour really but especially green together. You and your passenger would peuk every time you opened the door.

other than that, the last pic i posted - that blue is really alluring.
Thanks, yes it looked stunning. I liked it very much. I was hoping to see more of it.

Your thoughts on daytime looks are also a consideration i guess we should consider, how would the green and aqua look un-lit ?

Well in that regard, there's another issue, albeit minor. The Aqua EL's nice as they are, are white when off. So you wouldnt see much when off / daytime. I think given too many options you get spoiled for choice. Might be best to hang on a wee while and decide once I get the sills done. Just work on the logo / text for now.

What does everyone think - re: text / graphic to have on a Mercedes Coupé door sill? Please post your suggestions.

So far we have [Mercedes - Benz Coupe] any others ? what about any little graphics or paterns ????

clever dicky Hi, if you are making the sills for the c180 2 door sports coupe will the Mercedes-Benz logo be centered like the original ones, as the ones i have seen that you have done already are not ??

You mentioned in an earlier thread that you've got some for the BMW mini. I have cooper convertible as well as the Merc. Could you post/send me some pics of those ones so I can get an idea. Is the wiring straight forward? Thanks. L
et me know if you want me to pm you my e-mail address so I can send some direct rather than posting them up.

Hi yes I believe we are talking about the c class MB coupe. But I know there is a clk and possibly clc. If I can get them all then we're covered and my poor brain wont hurt. The clk I have, and Goatbateman is kindly sending his over. So unless there is a different one out there, were covered.

The bmw mini / mini 2 I have is the standard sill with the standard stamped mini logo. It is the same as the 'mini one' just a different logo. Although I have a cad for the plate (which is just stick on by the way) I haven't yet decided on a logo. Mini Cooper S seems popular. but I don't know.

As to the logo position, my first prototype was in the middle like every sill plate ever made I could see. After that I've made them all so logo on front sills is in the middle of the door fram -ish. Looks ok off, but much better lit. I just replaced mine with another set, trying to get a white on - less pink off. These are brushed with logo offset.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom