W203 Squeaky front suspension during hot & dry weather

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MarcelKan

Car
C200 Kompressor
Due to hot & dry weather recently, my car front suspension started to squeak while driving over the bumps or up the kerbs. I jerked up the car and moved around all the lower & upper control arms, track rods, ball joints and the front anti-roll bar. Fortunately, I found out the rubber mounting bushes on the anti-roll bar made the squeaky sound. I noticed that there was a gap between the rubber bush and the bar. I went to the Mercedes main dealer and bought a pair at £13.20 and changed it at my friend garage. My friend found out that the new rubber bushes were slightly bigger that the old one perhaps fitted originally from the factory. The new bushes fit on the anti-roll bar with no problems. After that, all the annoying squeaky sound disappeared. My friend thought maybe the new rubber mounting bushes had been upgraded. Any ideas?? Thanks.

Last edited:
I thought suspension noise was characteristic of these cars. One of the car review sites - Honest John, I think - has a review comparing the suspension to "a teenage boy's mattress".
I know mine has a serious dislike of speed bumps.

I have the same proglem with mine...only happens in the warm weather when i've been driving the car for more than 10mins. Worked out it's coming from the rear drivers side. Funny thing is if I leave the car to cool for a couple of hours the squeakign stops!

Any ideas what may be causing this?

Due to hot & dry weather recently, my car front suspension started to squeak while driving over the bumps or up the kerbs. I jerked up the car and moved around all the lower & upper control arms, track rods, ball joints and the front anti-roll bar. Fortunately, I found out the rubber mounting bushes on the anti-roll bar made the squeaky sound. I noticed that there was a gap between the rubber bush and the bar. I went to the Mercedes main dealer and bought a pair at £13.20 and changed it at my friend garage. My friend found out that the new rubber bushes were slightly bigger that the old one perhaps fitted originally from the factory. The new bushes fit on the anti-roll bar with no problems. After that, all the annoying squeaky sound disappeared. My friend thought maybe the new rubber mounting bushes had been upgraded. Any ideas?? Thanks.

When you say bigger are they tighter fit ? If so I would'nt worry. Very common for these to wear out and it won't be the last.

I thought suspension noise was characteristic of these cars. One of the car review sites - Honest John, I think - has a review comparing the suspension to "a teenage boy's mattress".
I know mine has a serious dislike of speed bumps.

yes, after a while you get fed up replacing bushes.(i replaced antiroll bar bushes 3 times in 5years, 100kmiles.)

That's what's happening to mine, but on the near side rear........Didn't realise it was such a common problem.

My W124 has exactly the same problem, thought it was just rusty springs or something. Glad to know i'm not alone :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom