W203 Staggered Wheels Question

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Bemmy

Car
2005 C180 W203
Hi, I have a 2005 W203 C180 with staggered wheels (225 fronts and 245 rears). Ive just noticed that after having my wheels refurbed I have a 245 tyre on the front and a 225 on the rear on the N/S of my car. I can swap them over no problem but is it possible to fit the wrong size tyre to the wheel? Could I have a 225 tyre on a 245 wheel?

You need to measure, or remove and check the markings on the rear faces, the rims to determine the sizes. Looks like the whoever refurbished the rims have mixed the tyres up. IIRC the rear rims will not clear the suspension on the fronts, don't just swap them over without checking the actual rim widths

Hi, I have a 2005 W203 C180 with staggered wheels (225 fronts and 245 rears). Ive just noticed that after having my wheels refurbed I have a 245 tyre on the front and a 225 on the rear on the N/S of my car. I can swap them over no problem but is it possible to fit the wrong size tyre to the wheel? Could I have a 225 tyre on a 245 wheel?
Did the wheel refurbers refit the tyres ? If they did it’s down to them to put the matter right surely :rolleyes:

You could have put the wrong tyres on two of the wheels , the rears are 8.5 inches wide and the front 7.5 inches (from memory) . Pop them off and see what is cast on the back of the spokes or simply measure the width of the rim .

Oh , and don't drive it like it is now.

My local garage made that mistake when they fitted new tyres to my CLK (same as your sizes ) . they just swapped them back , it was the new garage monkey that had messed up .

The guys who done the refurb are great and I'm sure once the bank holidays are over it wont be an issue - thanks for the replies and advice :thumb:

On mine the rear wheel bolts where much more recessed in their holes than the fronts - the difference was very obvious just looking at them.

It’s possible to fit 225/45 front tyres on the wider rear wheels and 245/40 rear tyres on the narrower front wheels, but it should be immediately obviously wrong.

If they’re the original Mercedes wheels then the rear wheels should have 8.5j stamped on the rear face of the spokes on the rear wheels, and 7.5j on the front wheels.

The 245/40 go on the 8.5j rear wheels and 225/45 go on the 7.5j front wheels. For your information, 7.5j and 8.5j is the width of the wheel in inches.

Top Tip Rory, confirms that the tyres are on the correct rims, they've just put 3 of the 4 wheels in the wrong position!

Thanks again for all your replies and advice :thumb:

they've just put 3 of the 4 wheels in the wrong position!
Surely that should be 2 of the 4 in the wrong position?

Nope, it's definitely 3
Rear OS has incorrect rotation should be on the rear NS
Rear NS is actually for the front NS
Front NS should be on Rear OS
Front offside is correct.
Basically move the 3 around in a triangle.

OK , now you have sorted that out , (if it was them you let put the wheels back in the correct position) please check the torque settings on the wheel bolts. After all they could not be relied upon to put the wheels back in the correct positions there could be a slight chance they have no idea what a torque wrench is.

Why didn't they at least chalk mark the tyres so they knew which corner they belonged on?
As Pete says, it's likely they windy-gunned the bolts back in to about 1000Nm :(

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom