W203 Suspension clunking......

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

horsesuitedfool

Car
C63 AMG Saloon & GL550
I have a W203 270 CDI and when travelling at low speeds or under braking especially i get a clunking suspension mainly on the passenger side front when going over bumps or pot holes etc. Are there common things that go like bushes on the W203??? Any help appreciated, cheers....

Broken spring is common and matches the symptoms you describe.

Other things to look at are bottom ball joints or anti roll bar drop links....

Genuine spring £50 from dealer vehicle/model specific.
Had spring go on wifes 203 and also replaced main susp bushs.
Do a search plenty on here or google same.

Lynall

Its not springs cause the spring in that corner was already replaced a couple months ago as it was snapped, it must be the bushes or joints in that corner i guess....

I have a W203 270 CDI and when travelling at low speeds or under braking especially i get a clunking suspension mainly on the passenger side front when going over bumps or pot holes etc. Are there common things that go like bushes on the W203??? Any help appreciated, cheers....
Common problem on W203's, plenty of posts here and on "the other side", had the same with mine.
Normal culprits are ARB bushes / bush retainers, big rubber lower link bushes and a rod with rose joints - not sure what it's called but there's pictures on the Russian VIN number site.
I did both sides of my 2001 W203, replaced the whole ARB not just the bushes, replaced both lower links not just the bushes, plus both rods, parts bought from MB Manchester came to £270 and fitting by my local garage was £115. Made an immense difference to the ride quality - no clunks, just smooth and quiet.

Think i will take it down to Ollie at PCS to diagnose and fix......Cheers guys...

Broken sping or roll bar link Possibly

my 2002 w203 estate has the identical symptoms on the same side the chap on the left hand side of the asembly must have been on the ale(cant spell snaps).:dk:

yeah i agree too, i had my lower arms replaced on my w203, then experienced no clunking noises during low speeds, and also the steering wheel use to vibrate when going 50-70 mph

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom