W203 thumping rear (self-levelling) suspension

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

duncanh

Car
BMW 520d SE F10, formerly c220cdi estate (for 12.5 years and 345k miles), before that w124 and w210
I have a serious thump from the rear nearside suspension. I have changed and checked loads of parts and it is still the same. The car is a 2002 c220CDI estate with self-levelling suspension. The bit I am unsure about how to test is the rear hydraulic strut (the thing that looks like shock absorber). I have already changed the sphere.

It was suggested elsewhere that I could swap the rear struts over to check if the thump change sides. Apart from the effort involved, it would only cost me a couple of litres of CHF11S fluid.

Does anyone know if the hydraulic struts are the same for both sides? I looked in the Russian website to see the part numbers, but although they are depicted on the diagram, there are no part numbers given.

Also, does anyone know if aftermarket ones are available? I have been told that MB struts are about £400 each. (It is my own fault. When I specified self-levelling on the new car order I did not expect to still have the car 11 years and 307K miles later).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom