W203. Unable to read fascia computer.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

splitpin

SUPPORTER
Car
W211 E500, CL500
Recent purchase of 04 W203 CDI Elegance Estate.

The Fascia is black background with white numerals.

I am unable to see computer when driving (Unless sun is shining from rear quarter) & dealer checks establish all is normal with computer.

I wear varifocal glasses (Recently checked).

The problem seems to be light reflection/refraction going through my glasses,
the plastic dial screen & the computer screen itself.

1. Has anyone experienced a similar effect?

2.Can computer light (diode?) be fitted with brighter output?

3.I have tried placing black cloth on upper steering wheel hub-no effect.

4. With car in garage can see computer quite clearly.

5. Jokes regarding driving only in the dark have already been made:)

Splitpin

The only things that come to mind are perhaps window tinting andturning the brightness dial all the way up (probably is already).

You may also want to purhase a muti-coating for your eyewear or a specific pair of driving glasses that you keep in the car.

The type of eyewear you are describing can be replaced with bi-focal lenses. Obviously the car is within specification so other areas could be looked at in combination.

The only things that come to mind are perhaps window tinting andturning the brightness dial all the way up (probably is already).

You may also want to purhase a muti-coating for your eyewear or a specific pair of driving glasses that you keep in the car.

The type of eyewear you are describing can be replaced with bi-focal lenses. Obviously the car is within specification so other areas could be looked at in combination.

Good point,my eyes are terrible, and I have spent 55 years doing close work electronics.
With my blue coated driving glasses it is very hard to read the dash, no problem with my brown ones. Its worth a try.

Malcolm

Good point,my eyes are terrible, and I have spent 55 years doing close work electronics.
With my blue coated driving glasses it is very hard to read the dash, no problem with my brown ones. Its worth a try.

Malcolm

Imagine having LCD screens and microscopes 20 years ago.

I assume you have checked it is on Daylight setting and not Night??

I assume you have checked it is on Daylight setting and not Night??

I left that to the Workshop Foreman to check for me, as I haven`t mastered
the intricacies of the computer completely but I will certainly double check.
:)

Splitpin

Thank you for the excellent suggestions, I will let you know how I get on:)

Splitpin

Do you have polaroid filters on your glasses ?

Try (just for testing purpose) rotating your head 90 degress, can you see it any better ? If so , its polaroid filters in your glasses doing it !!

R

Try (just for testing purpose) rotating your head 90 degress, can you see it any better ? If so , its polaroid filters in your glasses doing it !!

R

Thanks Richard but no joy I am afraid.

I have got Dolland & Acheson specs with Nikon lens but they arent polaroid.

Splitpin

R

I bought a pair of 3-D polarised glasses for $10 and they are the best driving glasses I ever bought. The lenses are designed to be offset at 90 degrees and so you always get the optical benefits and the ability to read the COMAND or LCD display (with one eye).

BTW: it hurts less if you rotate the eyewear !

Last edited:
UPDATE

The problem with viewing the computer on my C Class W203 ELEGANCE
continues,with other drivers of this car commenting on difficulty in reading it in varying daylight conditions.

Repeated discussions with local dealership have not been fruitful,with statements that no complaints have been received from owners of similar C Class models.

Suggestions on my part to introduce an uprated diode resulted in opinion that it would cause system instability/imbalance plus the fact that it is a sealed unit.

I am convinced that it is not due to my eyesight (Optomitrist agreement).

Have any other owners of W203 Elegance models,experienced this problem ?

Apart from previous advice already given, has anyone got a constructive
remedy please? :(

Splitpin

The computer is almost unreadable in bright sunlight. This is normal.

Try turning the headlights on, this will illuminate the screen. If this helps, and it's that important that you read the computer 100% of the time, set the headlights to be on whenever the igintion is on (as Volvos). The setting is in the cluster menu..

@whitenemesis

Yes thank you, I have tried that,it does help a little.

Whilst it is not in perpetual use, it is a useful reference tool that is used for

time,mileage,mpg & outside temperature(winter on untreated roads) checks.

It is interesting that you,too find it difficult to read at times.

I detest driving a reputed quality car that has ineffectual fascia displays.

Splitpin

@whitenemesis

Yes thank you, I have tried that,it does help a little.

Whilst it is not in perpetual use, it is a useful reference tool that is used for

time,mileage,mpg & outside temperature(winter on untreated roads) checks.

It is interesting that you,too find it difficult to read at times.

I detest driving a reputed quality car that has ineffectual fascia displays.

Splitpin

It is only when the sun is very bright... so not that often in the UK :)

The information in the display is not critical and not required 24/7, apart from perhaps the time and that's not critical! :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom