W203 Uprated Suspension

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

A-AvantGarde

MB Enthusiast
Car
2015 911 Turbo S, 2019 Volvo XC90 T5 Polestar Optimised
I'm toying with upgrading the suspension on my W203 Elegance. It's running on the standard Elegance (soft) suspension at the moment and to be honest it could do with being lower at the front and possibly a bit stiffer. With the 18's & the stock suspension the ride isn't great.

I appreciate that the ride quality won't be great with 18's anyway (with the state of the roads around here!).

I know that C32 components would be a direct fit, however I'm looking for recommendations of other suspension kits?

As mine is an Elegance I'm really looking at shocks & springs not just lowering springs.

I've heared H&R are good, other brands I know are Bilstien, SPAX and Renntech from the US.

Thanks in advance,

I've never fitted aftermarket suspension, but I do know that Bilstein are very well regarded, in fact I think AMG shocks are Bilsteins. Eibach springs are have a good reputation too.

Certainly andy_cyp had good things to say about Renntech springs, which I think he ran with the original C32 shocks, but I'm sure he'll chip in when he stops by to clarify.

If you fit stock components you will have stock wheel alignment adjustments. When you go superlow you just end up chewing tyres like crazy.

It pays to use OEM parts. Especially with MOT and TUV testing. Just depends on what the rules are.

I would definately recommend the Eibach/Bilstien combo for springs and dampers.

The Eibach lowering spring are progressive, which means you don't get the bone jarring hard ride all the time. But that they are stiff enough to keep the car from rolling to much in the bends.

An alternative solution would be to look at a stiffer anti-roll bar. Again maybe from the C32. You would get less roll, but avoid the harder ride of lowering the car.

This is just my personal opinion, I went for aftermarket lowering springs which were not Eibachs, and I regretted it.
My friend got Eibachs and the difference is noticable.

We both kept our original dampers though. This is something I may look to change in the future.

Just had the Bilstein B12 kit fitted today, early to say but I'm really really impressed. Had a great drive home Olly, trying it on different road surfaces.

Much smoother than I thought it would be (although I haven't sought out a cobblestone road yet ;) ) Handling seems far more compliant / confident. On smooth resurfaced sections of motorway it was superb.

Took some pics, will try to post after the weekend. Still need to wash the car properly...

Thanks to Olly at Prestige Car Service for doing the hard work :D !

Still haven't washed the car so this will have to do for now as a teaser...

Bilstein_rear.jpg

Bilstein_close_up.jpg

Hi

Just out of interest how much did this cost, obviously I'll understand if you don't want to put info like that on the forum.

It is something I'm considering in the future. Just looking for a ball park idea of cost.

Thanks

Hi

Just out of interest how much did this cost, obviously I'll understand if you don't want to put info like that on the forum.

It is something I'm considering in the future. Just looking for a ball park idea of cost.

Thanks

Cost fitted about £750 'ish.

The result is absolutely amazing, I've been out a couple of times this weekend just for a short drive - not done that in many many years!

I keep looking at these

I replaced my springs and anti-roll bars early this year with H&R versions, but, other than making the car lower to the ground the handling doesn't seem to have improved much at all

Ive also now got an annoying squeak coming from my left rear side when I go over bumps,
not sure whether it's the springs or the anti-roll bars but I'm going to have to try something else and the bilsteins look like the best compromise

I did look at the pss9's but I think they may be a bit too harsh and are also rather pricey

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom