W203 V W204

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

verytalldave

MB Enthusiast
Car
W203 C200K Cubanite
Friends...........
I have read one or two reports which dont reflect on the newish W204 with total praise. I have heard it whispered that the W203 is actually the better car of the two.
So my question is this...........
Assuming that residual/resale values do not enter the equation.........
What would you do?
Buy as late model W203 as possible with very low mileage - fully loaded with all the bells and whistles..............
OR.......for about the same money.......
Buy a W204 but with less gizmos and probably a higher mileage?
Remember - residuals are unimportant......I am simply looking for the better car/driving experience.
Opinions please, and any with ownership experience of the 2 models would be good.
Thanks to all in advance................

203 (facelift model, classic Mercedes design) looks miles better than 204 (derived 'modern', huge butt, a bit Koreanesque)

When the 204 was released there was praise all around from critics?

I know the dash is a bit drab. What did the reports you read criticise, just for interest, please?

the W203 is possibly one of the worst cars in looks (imo) ever made (no offence intended to its owners). I'm not quite sure how people can even compare it in any way to the 204.

The 204 gives me the feeling i had when i was a kid and i saw the first 202 crop up in 1994... i thought it was sublime :).

While I haven't owned a W203 I have driven them and I do own a W204 so can provide input from the W204 end of the spectrum. All the following are personal views, of course...

The facelift W203 is undoubtedly a good looking car, but overall I prefer the W204, and in particular the less fussy interior. For me, the W204 has an air of "hewn from granite" about it that the W203 just doesn't. Rightly or wrongly, the W203 just seems more "fragile" than the W204.

While the end-of run W203's were undoubtedly better built than the early ones, that doesn't tell the whole story in my experience of engineering and manufacturing. The final assembly process is only the coming together of all the components and it's at the design stage that the durability of the product is defined. In this respect the W204 definitely has the edge: it was designed by a company that had accepted it had its approach to quality and durability wrong and was making strident efforts to get it right. The W203, by contrast, was one of the designs that proved without doubt that MB had taken their eye off those core values of quality and durability that lead to so many of their troubles.

As far as driving dynamics go I'd say that the W204 has a better ride/handling balance than the W203 which feels considerably slower to respond to driver inputs. The control layout in the W204 is ergonomically better and the cabin is more spacious. Overall the W203 feels like it's from a different era - which, of course, it is.

My W204 is my first Mercedes and, based on my experience so far, won't be my last. I could have chosen a W203 with more bells and whistles on it rather than the W204 when I bought it but I didn't. And that decision was based on reputation and driving experience as much as more practical things like residuals.

Last edited:
Having driven a few examples of each, and owning a W203, my preference would be to go for a W204 if budget allows.

However some very high spec W203s are incredibley good value at the moment - my W203 will be a bargain for someone.

Dave - I suppose it also means a W204 220cdi v W203 320 cdi +toys for similar money..

I'm biased but drive the two models above and I would be amazed if you go for the 4 pot over the 6.

the W203 is possibly one of the worst cars in looks (imo) ever made (no offence intended to its owners).

Each to their own, but the W203 "worst cars in looks ever made"?!?! Never!

I think it's a great shape, just like a scaled down S-class. I particularly like the front and the almond-shape headlamps. Apart from the W209 CLK, this headlamp shape is, I believe, unique and all the better for it.

Lovely car to look at, lovely car to drive. :)

I've driven countless 203 and 204, and own a 2006 203, I would take a 204 any day!

Having owned the 203 facelift model with all the bells n whistles and now owning the 204 with the same... 204 wins it now for me

Having lived the W204 for about a year now after having a W203 for about 9 months, I can say hand on heart the W204 is light years ahead. Out handles, out brakes, out performs, looks better (well, to me anyway) superior ride quality, the list goes on.

Having owned the 203 facelift model with all the bells n whistles and now owning the 204 with the same... 204 wins it now for me

Having lived the W204 for about a year now after having a W203 for about 9 months, I can say hand on heart the W204 is light years ahead. Out handles, out brakes, out performs, looks better (well, to me anyway) superior ride quality, the list goes on.

Did both of you buy same engines in both cars ?

Newer models will always have improvements- the W203 is based on designs as much as 10yrs old or more. The W204 will have tweaked engines for better economy whilst at same time producing more power for the same capacity and there will be countless other refinements.
I think the decision has to be made more upon value for money & aesthetics when comparing the two.

The facelift 203s had refinements coming under the broad term 'direct drive/control' I think, at least on the coupe (if not other 203s) yet I have not heard much on the forum of this?

Did both of you buy same engines in both cars ?

Yep 220 the 204 has a little bit more poke, but i still think the gearbox in the w203 is alittle more refined... or perhaps its my driving;)

I've been more than happy with my 203 and now 'love' the shape/style. On the what looks best front I prefer not to judge too much before I have owned, in truth I didn't particularly like the 203 when I bought it. I've got the estate and always thoguht the back end was a bit hmmm. Not so now. I didn't like the 5 series when it first appeared now I think its great.

Although I'm not particularly keen on the 204 shape at the mo it is bound to be leaps and bounds ahead (in terms of engineering) and this alone would probably swing it for me, its newer, more modern, engines all upgraded etc. I've also been facing the same dilema but I think that in 3-4 yrs the 203 will definately look old and I will be more used to the 204, and probably quite like it!.

So, 204, it would be for me.

With some of the prices on 57 plate 203's you could run one for a year and swap for a 204 that is ex-demo and a healthy discount, and loose a lot less money than going for a 204 now.

Some of the deals on 203's are staggering.

The W204 has a much bigger car feel inside compared to the somewhat claustrophobic W203 and this is borne out particularly in the rear passenger area. :) In terms of looks the W204 front end just doesn't work except in the Sport version.:( Possibly because there are 2 versions of the front end the Classic and Elegance lack the cohesion of design of the Sport version and end up looking as if they were designed by committee!:eek: Despite this the W204 gets my vote as the better car.:rock:

I drive the W204 basic version and thought the facelifted W203 Sport to be the better car in grip,handling and toys inside..I am sure the W204 sport version will be a better car but majority go for the standard options..
Cabin quality,W203 feels better and more mercedes like..W204 materials are not in same league as what you get in the other ranges of mercedes..A bit of cost cutting or experiment in different tacky materials..
Earlier W203's were lousy with japanese plastic feel and ride and felt cheap for the money spent owning one..
If i had to go for a W204, I will spend to get the sport model and toys included to make it feel and ride and to the touch like a W203 facelift..

Exterior wise, W204 wins..W203 unless with facelift and with AMG bodykit, looks boring..

When comparing my W203 Coupe to the W204 saloon I am driving at the moment (both C180K) the 204 is more responsive and definately rides better. The 204 is a sport and has the sport pack brakes which are also much better than the standard ones in my 203. Cornering ability is similar on both, however the 204 has a little more grip. I put this down to the much better tyres on the 204 than what I currently have on my car. The 204 also looks fantastic on the outside.

On the inside, I much prefer the interior of my 203. It just seems a little more classy and I actually find the ergonomics better in my car. The seats are also much better in the 203 and far more comfortable. I also find the seating position too high in the 204.

Here is my 2p worth:
Exterior looks = 204 wins
Handling = 204 wins, 203 not that far off though.
Performance = 204 wins (although mpg is a lot less than my coupe)
Interior = 203 by far

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom