W203 vibration when braking

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Scottbateman

Car
W203 2.7cdi
Just bought a 2005 W203 270 CDI in mint condition

The car pulled to the left a little bit on braking but no judder but there was a knock every now and again so changed one front lower wishbone. As soon as I picked it up from the garage I noticed a judder when braking at speed.

The garage said I most probably had a worn disc so I have replaced front and rear discs and pads today

The car still Judders when braking at high speed. Why would this judder appear all of a sudden after the wishbone change?

Should the garage had the car re aligned after changing the wishbone or is the judder a different issue?

Yes, should have geometry checked after suspension arm change.

Did they remove disc to do job? Did you make sure hub face was scrupulously clean before fitting new discs?

Not sure if they took the disc off to change the wishbone as I wasn't there

A different person did the brakes today and again I wasn't there when they did it

What type of geometry/alignment should I look for?

Tracking as a minimum but I would get a full geometry done. Find someone with a Hunter system and knows how to use it.

Where abouts are you located?

Just moved to Wool in Dorset

Ah, near the Tank Museum?

Bit of a drive but IIRC the guys at MBS in Southampton have a good setup and knowledgable.

Yep Tank museum just up the road, Just moved from Southampton funily enough...I'll try MBS though so thanks

Mine juddered under braking, new thrust arm cured it.

Russ

Booked in at JR Autotechnic in Weymouth for full Hunter alignment and geometry

All fixed, the team at JR Autotechnics in Weymouth were excellent. I spent 4 hours there in their nice waiting area with coffee and bacon sarnies working on my laptop.

So..this was all demonstrated and explained to me with car on a ramp at each point during the morning...very informative.

Firstly the "new" lower suspension arm was a poor quality part and you could see the movement in the bush clearly vs the Merc part...amazing really. This is now in the boot and replaced by a Lempforder part, the other one had movement too so that was replaced at the same time. The rubbish one is going back to the guy that fitted it!

One Tie rod was shot so that went too...also one wheel bearing was adjusted as it had some play.

We went through the whole suspension but the rest past muster, we also did a full OBC diagnostic and some codes cleared, but all non problematic so all good.

We then did a Hunter 4 wheel alignment camber, castor and toe, everything was in the green except the toe which is pretty obvious really as we had all the bits and pieces apart. Toe adjusted and all in the green so very happy.

Drives lovely with no brake judder, diving or pulling to either side, the car brakes straight and the steering wheel is now straight too. There is the faintest of left pull but that road camber so no issues.

Great customer service and I learnt a lot about suspension and alignment, very pleased and will return.

The new brake discs and pads weren't needed, but hey they will last me a while now!

Mine juddered but it turned out to be a warped disc, apparently common on aftermarket discs

Never change suspension or steering components singularly, always replace in pairs

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom