W203 Water In Drivers Footwell (Hoping to make a definitive guide)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

c180081c

Car
C250 AMG Sport Coupe
Hi Guys,

As the rain and snow are drawing in I have noticed that my drivers footwell on c180k w203 2004 is filling up with water......All the drains are clear and have blown them out with the airline, and can see the water draining underneath....Please can you guys who have experianced this give me some idea of how you fixed it and what else there is to check, I have searched around and I can find no definitive answer, I hope this thread will help others with this problem so you don't have to be *****ing around as I have been doing for the past couple of days

I'd guess the A/C evaporator drain is blocked.

The evaporator is the bit buried behind the dashboard which cools the air as it's blown into the cabin. In cold weather water condenses on it in the same way house windows get condensation. This water drips off and into a tray which has a drain tube to the outside world. It's not uncommon for it to become blocked and the water to spill over the edge into the footwells.

Climb underneath the car and look for a rubber tube from inside the cabin somewhere near the bellhousing. This needs a good rodding with something suitable. The flexible plastic rod from inside an old electric aerial is ideal but may be hard to find, although it should give you an idea of what you need to look for. Be careful if you use a coathanger, you don't want to jab it into the evaporator as it's a dash out job to replace.

My thoughts exactly until I took the car for its weekly wash today and when id finished the footwell was soaked, it looks to be running off the bonnet release handle and pooling around the accelerator pedal...luckily I had tge wet vac on hand....ive had the cover off the front sam and thankfully its all dry, the grommet seems to be split for the bonnet release but surely that amount of water cant be creeping in there

Hmmm...

We're now in the realms of the unusual. Is there a leak around the windscreen perhaps?

Last edited:
Well with the best will in the world and all the parts shops closed, armed with a tube of sealet and tape I hunted down what I deem to be the culprit, just behind the fuse box there is a grommet for the bonnet release cable which looked nakered so I sealed it up and created a lean to out of tape just above it......using a hosepipe I have drenched the front of the car and there is no more water dripping in the footwell......the question is, is this grommet replacement available and is it an easy job....I could leave it as it is but knowing it isn't right is annoying the hell out of me

Well after the terrible rain over the past couple of days the leak is back....I'm at my wits end now

Gave up after going out to it this morning and it was absolutely swimming...booked in at a local Indy who came recommended for good work, fingers crossed

The grommet on the bonnet release cable, whilst not what I would call a common problem, is quite capable of letting in a surprising amount of water. I've replaced 3 or 4, and they only come complete with a new bonnet release cable. My money is still on that being the culprit. In my experience you'll need a throttle pedal soon if it isn't already waterlogged

The grommet on the bonnet release cable, whilst not what I would call a common problem, is quite capable of letting in a surprising amount of water. I've replaced 3 or 4, and they only come complete with a new bonnet release cable. My money is still on that being the culprit. In my experience you'll need a throttle pedal soon if it isn't already waterlogged

I've removed as much water as I can even to the point of sponging it out, had a hair dryer on the carpet and surrounding area, but I fear you are right just what you need in December!! It's going in tomorrow first thing so will know more then just hope it dosent start getting expensive

What happens to the throttle pedal?

Had this exact thing with the bonnet release gromet. Replaced the cable and it's fine now.

What happens to the throttle pedal?

The pedal is a fly-by-wire unit. A sensor is built into the unit, and unfortunately it is not waterproof.

What are the symptoms when it fails or is it just a case of it failing completely

The pedal is a fly-by-wire unit. A sensor is built into the unit, and unfortunately it is not waterproof.

Does this mean I could be voicing over the team radio to my independent FBW, FBW, FBW FAULT?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom