W203 wobbly columb swirchgear fix.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Tim203

Was going to put this under 'what you did to your Mercedes today' and if it's already been covered forgive me. When I bought my car almost 2 years ago the switchgear was loose and the indicator stalk would not detent any more ( probably from heavy handed frustration by the previous owner). The complaint was accepted and we were instructed to take the car to an indi about 20 miles away. They fitted a new indicator switch but the switchgear still moved around the column. I took it back again, with an employee to give me a lift and when I picked it up that evening they hadn't even looked at it! When I phoned the next day the lady on reception told me it needed a new steering rack! Just as well I'm an engineer then. Let's face it , car wasn't new, only £4k , looked lovely, full leather interior take it on the chin. My wife who's the main driver got used to it but it always niggled me that a decent quality car could have such an annoying and potentially dangerous ( because it was distracting) problem. I took it apart today to find the die cast bearing housing that sleeved over the main column was loose and you will see from the photo, looks as if it was staked in position and maybe bonded. The Fix- Drill and tap M5 thro at 9 & 6 'o'clock respectively and 2x M5 X 10 U/H cap heads saved the day. Hope someone finds this useful.- image-2968899459.jpg image-968497792.jpg image-2408574276.jpg In the last picture I've pointed out what I believe to be a 'staking'. If this so a centre punch would have been more effective. Cheers Tim.

Last edited:
Sorry, change M5 to M4 fasteners.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom