W203 Xenon headlamp change to standard

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

philiggy

Car
C180 Estate & C220 CDI
Hi All
I've got an 02 C220
The front Xenon headlamp started playing up intermitently, thegarage now say it needs a headlamp unit as well
I've changed the control unit and the bulb, this is my old car which I gave to my son, he needs it for work.
The question is can I just take it out and replace it with a standard non Xenon unitCheers
Phil

Don’t halogens have to have the headlights adjustable from the dashboard?

Don’t halogens have to have the headlights adjustable from the dashboard?
Yes they have it, but is it a legal requirement in the UK and is it tested at MOT? I don't know the answer.

Yes they have it, but is it a legal requirement in the UK and is it tested at MOT? I don't know the answer.

I will find out...I really just want to keep it on the road for another 6 months for him

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Only test for that is set it to 0, max height, and check for aim.
I've never had the adjustment, manual or auto, tested.

When you say xenon do you mean filament lamp, like halogen, but filled with different gas?

When you say xenon do you mean filament lamp, like halogen, but filled with different gas?
From the tester's manual -
"If driver’s beam aim controls are fitted, you should test the beam aim without altering the control setting. If this would result in failure for beam aim being too low, you should re-check the beam aim with the control set at its ‘highest’ position."
MOT Manuals Section 4 Lamps, reflectors and electrical equipment

Not sure, the bulbs are £60 each! I want to change them for normal second hand units and wondered if it was a straight swap

I've always considered xenon to be a posh halogen(ish),
I'm aware that some might describe HID as xenon, and as Pete wouldn't expect to see them ona 2002.

Its a very high spec car, it actually has just about every exta you could have at the time!

Are those headlights mentioned on the datacard? 2002 does seem early.

You are right, genuine Merc but retro fit.
So...I’m guessing headlamp and wiring back to loom?

Are those headlights mentioned on the datacard? 2002 does seem early.

You are right, genuine Merc but retro fit.
So...I’m guessing headlamp and wiring back to loom?

I've always considered xenon to be a posh halogen(ish),
I'm aware that some might describe HID as xenon, and as Pete wouldn't expect to see them ona 2002.
They were not standard...but were available. I had them on a 2000 w210.

So are these HID,
that being hi voltage with additional ballasts?

So are these HID,
that being hi voltage with additional ballasts?

Yes...had a new ballast unit and Bulb...still not working apparently it needs a headlamp!

That would need a new fitting as the reflector is different.
TBH if lamp and ballast have been replaced, and you have proved the supply I would claim for replacements under guarantee.
Otherwise replacing with Chinese kit would be cheap,
a kit of 2 lamps and ballasts used to be arounf £14, if I remember correctly.

Oops message duplicated, can't see how to delete.

So what we are saying here is someone at some point retro fitted a full Xenon kit to a 2002 C220. Including complete headlamp units ,high voltage ballasts, both chassis level sensors and headlamp wash (replacement bumper) including a new light switch unit with the manual lamp spray button et al ? Wow.

Confused. :dk:

So what we are saying here is someone at some point retro fitted a full Xenon kit to a 2002 C220. Including complete headlamp units ,high voltage ballasts, both chassis level sensors and headlamp wash (replacement bumper) including a new light switch unit with the manual lamp spray button et al ? Wow.

Confused. :dk:

Something I did to my 2005 S203, maybe the best upgrade I had done. Adding the headlamp wash function was the most involved. (Thanks, Olly & Jack)
XcFCq7o0xivKV6NfFGKqjJNzayCJP9iGCnRjMbKu0_23U5oHV-MpWhsDBlVz2tB-qLAajtYmU3ssr2ZOczTkYn492fVtBwY0pQ93DoTYmnu5ESW3oEurzKGLPsQqumnbA_5V0_S8rU-mwnxOZhjrlWXgG19xXmq6d5ZlDKyT5HXWRwF3Izs9jsyBpf-ZDfTocj-WOnYZVF92cQhGFfIBPNvbHy8o-rrwM4xeRe7N4FuZLjUTozkjRfTM-TcjqXMlsQnS6JOjjhE0Po4hxrbzo81qd0X95DH1qciz0Crhg5DOp0DDwdnlCMSWoR8g_ry77aLUsMg8K27TknBk9wB7GXTJhRnWP4pOGFUrTc_XTQ7O-TO3HpUPmXavrrZjqjGrTKz0uxI4VIOviEC5Vyxt3ikuDDLdj8vdqqcUwHjvZTR4MmvdwSswTTZSdz-ppwp_3t-pxceh6iJzVNjoIB2p6ruB81qgP9lfNRtDosidh6rufmSy-QcyaeMSG1qtNlBPGG3ZF5gF2JAYY_k31lIGX8ggnae3qQXwNn5iHSNIhg3BsdUrQlAQqtefnFZO-OMM6TlNf9IFjuRX-XlV855VYtSBMrK3H6aNS5sHWNGpCL9dcWG2Ki1Bdlji1orcCFbCxubFK93fkgb7I_iJfsXuuygVOQ=w1290-h1718-no

pmWMFVw4AlgVfTwdBoUS4ranFk8T41Ye9bidS3H3A518BzehuRXr3oAsx4QgMgdJnGpuCymkz4odsFnmyMOWSqnkWKcDbVHuPFGHQrB48QUzlipfy2YBrFU8buiZnN3ebP3WCPp5oJEKr5X-HKeyETwjul_KvSSC3Uu0FtjQ8cPRkGF51KWNTzvGt4YoVJVMHDe2gcT1Tuptp7_D5m1cY64RgeydVXgIY3DLhhb8MKE1ZHBxrtpfRxOO71X1jSnx7VgACvrVpnCu3kLb_L0r0LyoTs_u70JVlHh6R-GW_BS4M1DuC3vrkxrnJrcx1Q_NtP4xkmzb3roy6HAF3tAMhc6xNrcW5bE-6SFXodyW6TGTYvGx7Cc2I-2f1po-2AGksJzEqctUhFz9cCBRu2t8vFhfdebktZ78Msk2Gld38KsgZ0bg3yLsWvEpjOEP_JvXSroVNgZ0InUiUqsavID7NQns6QFY6io_GdTip0lgjYLeJexf6mbr-H5Ub0q91UTxNVYHmE2z5XmbmWhPKs7_02eth75wM37R_QEZVEGF1FLtfIbEfCRCzfRFPRbmLXRecB5KaAe5xeVDJZcbBA_qv7nS6Lxn9PgcgODeYMgLFCm3ja5NoGL0mLA2eHuEN5Hfe65TVmncUF9IUc55l8AcPJoMIQ=w1290-h1718-no

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom