W204 2009 Front suspension clunk resolved

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MB Enthusiast
Car
2009 W204 C180K
Just wanted to thank the forum for giving a lead that helped me resolve a low speed clunk in the front suspension. Perhaps the symptoms and resolution might help someone else.

Having recently bought a W204 C180K I was disappointed with an intermittent clunk from the NSF suspension that occurred only at low speed and on bumpy surfaces. I won't bore you with the tribulations of 3 dealer visits, denials that anything was wrong because all suspension joints were OK and it couldn't be the strut etc. Eventually they replaced the strut and the clunk is gone. What a difference it makes, I now feel I've bought the right car.

One question. What is the purpose of the black plastic cap on top of the strut. It's visible from under the bonnet and I presume clips into place from above. They chewed it up quite badly and didn't replace it with a new one. I can't imagine they cost much so I will want to replace it.

"Normally" this will be a dust cap covering the strut piston shaft nut which holds everything together.

Thanks,

I'll get a new dust cover.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom