W204 2010 v 2011 transmission. Any difference?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

C250Ride

Car
Mercedes C250 CDI
A 2010 w204 with the 5 speed auto box has the letters C, S and M. Whereas a 2011 5 speed box has E instead of C.

Is this letter the only difference or are the actual transmissions themselves different?

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

E is economy. C is comfort . Both pull away in 2nd gear and change early. S is sport . 1st gear pull offs and late changes. M i think is manual.. ? My c250 has e and s . My e class had c and s . So did my cls.

E is economy. C is comfort . Both pull away in 2nd gear and change early. S is sport . 1st gear pull offs and late changes. M i think is manual.. ? My c250 has e and s . My e class had c and s . So did my cls.
I'm wondering if it is just a cosmetic change of letter description or whether the actual hardware (actual transmission) used is different.

Just to say thay some transmissions (both 5g and 7g) have Manual Mode and paddle shift, some don't.

Personally I think that paddle shift on non-AMG cars (especially Diesels...) is just a gimmick, but some people do seem to like it.

I only use the paddles to give me engine braking when slowing down to aid the brakes.

I'm wondering if it is just a cosmetic change of letter description or whether the actual hardware (actual transmission) used is different.

Im pretty sure wikipedia would give you that answer.

Just to say thay some transmissions (both 5g and 7g) have Manual Mode and paddle shift, some don't.

Personally I think that paddle shift on non-AMG cars (especially Diesels...) is just a gimmick, but some people do seem to like it.

I am surmising that you have not driven an MB diesel with paddle shift Mark?

Not only are they very useful for engine braking when approaching bends etc but as with most turbo-diesels it helps to plan overtaking maneuvers by allowing a quick drop down of gears to ensure you are on boost before pulling out and the response seems quicker than kick down plus you keep both hands on the wheel.

I am surmising that you have not driven an MB diesel with paddle shift Mark?

Not only are they very useful for engine braking when approaching bends etc but as with most turbo-diesels it helps to plan overtaking maneuvers by allowing a quick drop down of gears to ensure you are on boost before pulling out and the response seems quicker than kick down plus you keep both hands on the wheel.

I agree, and my Suzuki Vitara (1.6L petrol) has Manual mode and paddle shift.

I use it for engine braking on steep downhill drives just as I have always used shift range limiters on any automatic car I had, and this is fine.

(I rarely have the need to overtake these days... but yes a shift down makes sense.)

My point was that paddle shift is only really needed when fully using Manual driving (i.e. using all gears as one would with a manual gearbox) on proper sports cars.

On other road going cars the paddle shift mostly get used in the same way as traditional shift range limiters have always been used from the gear selector stick, which is why I referred to them being mounted on the steering wheel as a gimmick.

So yes it is useful to have this functionality on all automatic cars, but a full Manual mode and paddle shift is OTT in my view.

I agree, and my Suzuki Vitara (1.6L petrol) has Manual mode and paddle shift.

I use it for engine braking on steep downhill drives just as I have always used shift range limiters on any automatic car I had, and this is fine.

(I rarely have the need to overtake these days... but yes a shift down makes sense.)

My point was that paddle shift is only really needed when fully using Manual driving (i.e. using all gears as one would with a manual gearbox) on proper sports cars.

On other road going cars the paddle shift mostly get used in the same way as traditional shift range limiters have always been used from the gear selector stick, which is why I referred to them being mounted on the steering wheel as a gimmick.

So yes it is useful to have this functionality on all automatic cars, but a full Manual mode and paddle shift is OTT in my view.

Again my own experience of actually using this feature day to day does not entirely agree with yours as described.

The "Manual"unction is merely a result of the 'box being set up to select gears on demand and it is not truly manual because the 'box will change up at max rpm and change down a gear as appropriate for the road speed even in "Manual" setting.

I cannot agree that having paddles mounted on the steering wheel is a gimmick when it allows you control of the gearbox for braking, overtaking etc whilst maintaining hands on the wheel whereas the older systems require you to remove a hand to operate the gear selection.

My previous C class had the range selector available by pushing the gear lever away or towards the driver for either single down / up shift or by holding it for 0.5 s it would choose the lowest / highest possible gear for the road speed as doe the paddles. The paddles are a much better way of doing this for me but then I have large hands and long fingers :)

I only use the paddles to give me engine braking when slowing down to aid the brakes.
I used to until I realised it wasn't doing the timing chain any good.

"Gears to go, brakes to slow..."

Pads and discs are cheaper than gearboxes.
Modern brakes very rarely fade these days. Using the gears is days gone by (i.e. when drums were common) made some sense but not these days and certainly not with an automatic.
Use the paddles to restricted the gear range, certainly. Stop the 'box from hunting especially on hilly roads.

Ok . I best give over doing it then ..

Not entirely convinced paddle shifters are even worth it tbh. Very rarely used them.

Even when planning an overtake Quickly pressing the throttle before it accelerates causes it to shift down anyway and then just using kickdown when actually overtaking works just as good without having to press the UP paddle to get it back to a low gear

Does engine braking affect the timing chain or is it the higher revs from changing down ?

I believe it's the sudden change in engine speed which doesn't do the chain any good and may cause stretching.

I believe it's the sudden change in engine speed which doesn't do the chain any good and may cause stretching.

The gear change is controlled by by the ECU and TCU so I am sure the parameters involved are perfectly safe for the engine particularly as it is under load so the rate of change in engine speed is controlled.

The gear change is controlled by by the ECU and TCU so I am sure the parameters involved are perfectly safe for the engine particularly as it is under load so the rate of change in engine speed is controlled.

And there's me thinking I was controlling the gear change by pulling back a few times on the left paddle.

Agreed, but braking using the engine does not involve 'sudden change in engine speed'?

Well, not when done properly, anyway.

Of course if you race the engine down hill and then flick the gear shift into 3rd gear limiter, the rev will shoot-up.

But if you engage the shift range limiter early on, all that will happen is that instead of shifting-up, the transmission will stay in the top gear within the limited range, the rev will gradually increase somewhat and then will remain at that level for the duration.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom