W204 2012 C250cdi creeking front suspension at low speed

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Tonygw

MB Enthusiast
Car
C250 CDI AMG Blue efficiency diesel
Hi Guys

I have had this problem a while now. When parking, most noticable when reversing and on a slight hill/gradient I get a loud creeking noise from the front of the car while turning the wheel. Its not a constant noise more intermittent during a manouver.

Left or right it does it and only when moving slowly. If I turn the wheel while stationary I cant hear it.

Its mainly in reverse but I noticed it while moving forwards into a parking space yesterday also.

Any clues where to start looking?

At the last service the indy garage said the front arm bushes were slightly perished but there was no movement from them so shouldnt be an issue. Could this be the issue? Or a red herring?

Any ideas?

cheers

There is a central jacking pad under the engine, get the front end up in the air, pop a few axle stands under the car for safety and start levering and inspecting every link/joint you can see. Check the wheel bearings by grabbing the tyre at 12 and 6 o'clock position and heave on the wheel.

failing that any decent mechanic should be able to spot the fault in no time at all.

Cheers for the reply, Its to cold and I am to lazy at the moment to jack it up, LOL, Normaly I would have a go but this time of year I think I will get it booked in at the indy again.
I do trust them and I guess they didnt have the time to have a "proper" investigation during its "A" service.

The car drives fine and shows no sign of poor handling associated with worn suspension. So I guess it cant be a major fault. But I do need to get it looked at.

I wasnt sure if there are ay common wear points or known issues with this model. It is the AMG suspension on it so its quite low if that makes a difference?

Cheers

There are bearings at the top of the struts that squeak when turning at low speed.

Option 1:

https://mbworld.org/forums/attachme...07-clicking-when-turning-li33.15-p-047471.pdf

Wheel alignment will be required after replacing the hydro-bushes.

In any event my recommendation is to replace the entire control arm complete with hydro-bush and ball joint, and not just the bush. The additional cost of the arm will be justified by the saving on the labour cost - replacing the bush itself requires a press and it's a time-consuming task.

Last edited:
Option 2:

There are bearings at the top of the struts that squeak when turning at low speed.

Front suspension strut top mount (might be a good idea to replace also the strut top bearing, and also the drop links, while you're at it)

Thanks Guys Lots to think about, investigate

I was thinking about the strut top mounts as one possibility. Top suggestions here!!

Thanks

Please don't make the mistake of thinking you have full blown AMG suspension on your car...you will upset all the AMG owners on here and they can be a vicious bunch. :p

LOL Well it says AMG on the log book .... LOL ;-)

If only I could afford a proper AMG... one day!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom